2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
What you missed!!
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only hunted Sunday morning at the lease and like last weekend it was very very slow. Well it was down right dead, too hot and nothing coming the feeder. Pulled my cam pics on the way out to see if have the same deer coming to the feeder every day but the day that I am in the stand. Thats a whole nother issue.

Get home and my son asks if we could go back out to our lease this that afternoon and hunt. He is 3 going on 4 in a couple of months and I have never deer or hog hunted with him and he is a busy growing boy. Of course I said we sure can but we will have to sit in one area and will not be running around the lease like we do before season. He was good with that and for the remainder of the time kept asking when we were leaving. We load up the truck and headed out. We had seen some fresh hog tracks that morning and I thought we would sit in the back of the truck bed to give him some room to move around and shoot his nerf gun while we watched an area about 100 yards out in front of us. One we got to where we were going to park we had a doe jump out and run in front of us across the property. He didnt get to see it but was very excited. We got all set-up and explained we had to wispher while we on the look out. He was asking about the different sounds we heard and kept asking if I saw anything while we glassed the fields. I had gotten a small pair of nocks to look at as well. He then asked if he could put my pocket knife in his pocket until we needed it.

We hit the two hour mark and had about 15 mintues left before we had set a time to head back home. He was doing unbelievable being quite, paying attention and having fun the whole time. Then in the opposite direction of where we were looking I see a single pig cutting the field towards us. He had seen his 1st dove get shot this year and was okay with it but lost attention quickly after that. Well I tried to get him ready and get his ear protection on and asked him okay you ready for this and got the thumbs up to go hot and knock it down. Took the shot and he was pumped. He could not see it laying down in the tall grass but he was so excited. I explained that he would have to stay in the bed until I located him and made sure that he was dead. I could not see him either seeing i dumped him in one of there ruts in the tall grass. Located the pig and then went back to get my son who had the ear to ear grin going already. Showed him the pig and we started draggin him out to the cleaning station. He made the comment can I get your knive out yet and I said not yet we have to get him in the truck and over to the hanger.

Got the pig out and got ready to cut holes to hang him and he watched me clean the hog the entire time not complaining but asking tons of questions wanting to see where the bullet went in and what it hit. Of course we talked about everything and had a great time. Pull out the organs and explained what they did and he had rubber gloves on so he could help and touch things. Never was scared for shy about doing any of the work.

Everyone has moments that you will never forget and this made the top five list. He called everyone and told them what we had done and he helped with everything. I drove home while he fell alseep and drew on memories of hunting with my father and realized that it was never about the kill it was about the time of spending time together that made it special and thus never forgetting those times. I am so thankfully that I can share my passion for hunting with him and his sister at their pace and acceptence level.

Lastly this morning when loading him up for daycare in mom's truck he asked if I could pick him up from school and head out to the lease again. Not to proud to say I was starting to tear up a little at that point.

Thanks for everyone story about hunting with their childern, I enjoy reading everyone one of them and now have one of my own.

Attachments

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
Sonds like a great trip. Good job keeping it with what he could do, and well done by him staying quiet that long at that age.

I do have to say, man that bucket under the hog is clean!

·
Tiny is Gone... Hi, My Name is ROGER
5,886 Posts
Get that boy a haircut!! LOL!! Good post man, great read!
Me and my son are going hunting this weekend, It will be his 5th time in a stand, I hope he has the nerve to pull the trigger this year. I can't wait!

·
What you missed!!
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
new lease this year and we got two new buckets with little use to date but we are working on it. LOL

Well his hair is his hair and we let him decided on that one. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts