2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The news media is making a big deal of the financial problems the world is undergoing. A lot of that is hysteria..if it bleeds, it leads.

It did get me to thinking, though. How did people get through the Great Depression? Was it all Okies and Hoboes? Not everyone lived on a farm and was able to provide for their family that way.

My grandparents were schoolteachers...and the States never ran out of money. Paychecks were delayed at times, and they didn't have that much, but they always had a roof and almost always, meals.

If you lived through the Great Depression, or if your parents did, how did they survive?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
well - 100 banks could fail in 2009, we have the largest debt per citizen, Aig already used up over 50 billiion of 85 billion , Europen banks are in trouble and stock market in asia, mexico and so on is deep dodo .. we only missing the Godzilla walking and killing the people..

good news is us market is up as of 11pm by 1% or about 100 point for tue ..

well - 100 banks could fail in 2009, we have the largest debt per citizen, Aig already used up over 50 billiion of 85 billion , Europen banks are in trouble and stock market in asia, mexico and so on is deep dodo .. we only missing the Godzilla walking and killing the people..

I think the hover dam project and lots of road construction was used to keep people employed

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
??????????? :spineyes::spineyes::spineyes::spineyes::spineyes::spineyes::spineyes::spineyes::spineyes: ??????????

boashna said:

I think the hover dam project and lots of road construction was used to keep people employed

·
Senior Member, do I get a discount?
1,920 Posts
Lost me on that one, but I am on the look out for Godzilla now. FDR got the country through by iniating the New Deal, I know that much. It create jobs and banking reform. My grandfather used to tell me stories about how they made it, they didn't have much but they didn't need much. Times were a lot simpler and people were a lot tougher than we are now. After reading about what happened with banking industry over the last couple of years i can't belive that it lasted as long as it did. They were set for failure from the start it seems to me. They let people get into situations knowing they couldn't get out of. I know we are all responsible for our own actions, but at some point someone has got to say enough!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Deal

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Yup, my grandparents and mother were sharecroppers also, up around Austin area. They worked hard and always had a place to live. Grandfather past away about 4 years ago at the age of 97. I quess hard work is good for you, ha.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
my dad was at Rice during the depression and his dad, my grand father lost his business in the Heights and started selling mining equipment in the US & Mexico.
My dad said he tried to work selling shoes for a couple of days (worse job he ever had) but quit & went to work for Hughes Tool.
My other grand parents were in the oil patch and they hunted & fished for food a lot.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
boashna said:

Dang, what are you smokin' dude??

·
Registered
3,300 Posts
My grandmother told me that the one's who still had a job survived. It was the high unemployment that hurt us so badly. My great grandfather worked for the railroad and hunted and fished. They always had something to eat and a roof over their heads.
And, yes, the "new deal" helped get people back on their feet but if the government hadn't tried to "fix" everything the great depression never would have happened.

·
Registered
5,286 Posts
Get ready because if you listen to anything on television or read the newspaper it's going to get worst as the election get's closer. The only information remotely close to what's going on is the radio because it's only form of communication the liberals don't own.

Doom and gloom as the liberal's forecast it.

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
there were a lot of factors that caused the collapse of our economy in the late '20's and early '30's that led to the great depression, and, in a domino effect, the depression was exascerbated and then made global when many economies of the rest of the world collapsed, too. like the old saying goes, "when america gets a cold, the rest of the world gets the flu."

eerily enough, a lot of the economic factors in america at that time that resulted in the great depression are very similar to the factors that have led to our economic troubles today.

fdr's programs helped america survive the depression, but only wwll brought an end to it.

both of my parents were kids during the depression, and neither one of them hardly had a pot to pee in. my mom once told me that the year she started first grade, she went to school with a pair of shoes that didn't match.

·
Registered
7,222 Posts
my dads father started a company right before the depression hit the houston area. he survived for 18 months on investors money until he got his first contract with humble oil.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Productivity

The work program allowed people something for productivity. Giving someone something for doing nothing should be a personal decision not a government decision. The only government decision IMO should be to give people the opportunity to work and be productive. Many of the things we enjoy today, parks, bridges, dams, etc., were built by those who chose to work. That generation wanted more for their sons and daughters than they had, not a debt to repay. Choice-- work out, or bail out. Just my $.02

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
My dad was a very young kid in the 1920's growing in East Texas but he and his older brother have many times told me that my grandfather worked as a roughneck in the oil patch, raised chickens, had a big garden and raised, trained and sold bird dogs on the side. Also Dad said he and his brother knew every fruit bearing tree and berry bush within a couple of miles of the house and also knew just when they were going to be ripe. Many times, the only meat the family had was on Sunday after church when grandma would fry up a chicken for supper.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
The U.S farm economy was in a depression for years before the start of the Great Depression. Most of my family in N.E. Tx. was already so poor they didn't really notice it. Always had food but new clothes and shoes were hard to come by. Have talked to many folks in Kansas about it as well to them the Dust Bowl years were the worst called them the "Dirty Thirties".

·
Old ******
4,526 Posts
There is a HUGE difference between the Great Depression and what we might see this time around. It can not and will not be anything like it was then. Modern Americans (excepting maybe 20% with true survival skills) are too entrenched in comfort to make it through a time where survival of the fitest rules. Our society is one where survival of the unfit rules. Pulling through a hurricane for a few days or a month is one thing...but pulling through an extended period of months or years with no money, no creature comforts, no clear view of an end or way to get out would kill many. In my opinion the majority of young people today would commit suicide if they lost their cell phones and iPods.

·
SIT DOWN CLOWN
3,454 Posts
boashna said:

Well ummm... http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/youare

1 - 20 of 101 Posts