2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Haynie HO/Merc ProXS
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We left out of Freeport this morning at daylight with the other 100 boats (LOL) and headed out about 25 miles. This Trout fisherman (me), only goes offshore every now and then on flat days in my 20' GC or my fishing partners 22' Triton. The water was flat and it was a picture perfect day. I had forgotten just how fine the water looks offshore. I can see how the offshore bug could be contagious. We hit a few rigs and shrimp boats in the 25 to 30 mile range and caught a little bit of everything. Kings, Lings, Red Snapper, and Dolphin. We were working the bottom while we had a live bait free lined and we go a good hit/hook-up on bottom. Before I could get to the free line pole to reel it in, it went off as well. My partner Harry was hooked up on a Ling and I set the hook on what turned out to be one fine Dolphin. He busted the water a good ways out and started dancing, what a show. We battled both fish and were able to get both of them in the boat. This was the biggest Dolphin I had ever caught. We were pumped. We got our limit on Red Snapper and ended the day with 3 Dolphin and 1 nice size Ling. We caught and released another 7 King fish to fight another day. Man, those fish off shore pull a little harder than those Specs. LOL. I can see the attraction of the big game and I had a great time. Harry, you put us on the fish and if you ever need a deck hand again, i am in. LOL.

Attachments

·
Roll Tide!
15,787 Posts
That's some good eating laying on the driveway. Looks like a faantastic day on the water and nice Dolphin!

·
GOD BLESS AMERICA
1,441 Posts
You better believe I do the same , I got a 21 bay boat and when its nice offshore / offshore I go , gotta love it , awesome catch , thanks for sharing ...

·
Back in da Saddle
10,160 Posts
Good job guys...

John

·
Registered
83 Posts
same here , love it when the water looks like that.we go offshore every chance we get when the waters like that. the bug takes hold again. good catch

·
Registered
197 Posts
Hey Dewayne don't forget to tell them about the King fish that jumped 20' into the air. Had a great time with dewayne. Not only did he out fish me, He did a heck of a job cleaning these fish.

·
Haynie HO/Merc ProXS
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
King fish missle

Oh yea. we were headed in and we ran across some water being torn up by a group of fish and the birds were working it as well. Harry threw a spoon in there and came out with a Mack. We trolled through it with no luck and reeled in the rods. As we were reeling in the rods, we were discussing what we thought might eat the Macks. All of the sudden, about a 3 1/2 to 4 foot King fish shot out of the water straight up in the air about 15 to 20 feet and turned in mid air and dove right back into the water. Well, that answered our question on what eats Mack's. For a minute I thought we were under attach by a Trident Submarine. LOL. That King fish was hauling tail when he launched out of the water and we both gave him a 9.7 on the overall routine. LOL. I am just glad he landed back in the water and not in our boat. I would hate to call the coast guard and tell them were had a hole through our boat from an air born King. LOL. It was some site.

·
2Cool Sponsor
1,166 Posts
Great report ghost and thanks for the pics!

You never know what you'll hook into out there!

Next time you run across that, throw your biggest top-water bait! Almost as good as topwater tuna! LOL

1 - 20 of 26 Posts