2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Livin2Fish
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have the oil bath setup on my boat trailer, but noticed some water is getting in a couple of the bearings. I'm trying to decide if I want to go back with the Oil bath setup or just use the traditional grease setup. Has anyone else had issues with the Oil bath setup?

·
11,766 Posts
I have a couple of friends that had oil baths on their trailers and they never could get the water seepage under control. They went back to regular grease setups when they got tired of messing with it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Bearings

Go back with a good waterproof grease & buddy bearings w/covers. Make sure you have good seals and try not to over grease them. You'll have less problems!

·
Thank You! Next
7,757 Posts
I have Oil Baths and I live very close to the water, so far so good , 2 years, but I will never put them on again!! RangerTrail, sure does well with them though??

·
Excel, it's easy to be average
2,153 Posts
Satisfaction with the oil bath system all depends on the installation. I have run mine 2 1/2 yrs for a lot of miles to LLM and back without a hickup. I am now replacing the torsion axle for other reasons and the new axle is available in only grease lube from the same mfg.

Charles

·
Registered
865 Posts
Had my oil bath bearings on for 5+ years, still no problems at all.

·
Adrift on the Mother Lagoon
828 Posts
Go to a real bearing shop (not the auto parts store) and get new seals that are the next size down for the Inner Diameter. Also take some emmory clothe to the spindles and get the crude off from the old seal. That should help tremendously with water sepage.

·
Purveyor of Worthless Knowledge
557 Posts
Death to Oil bath bearings. I never had anything but trouble out of mine. At McClain trailers their opinion was they either seem to be real good or real bad not much middle ground. Changed to Buddy Bearings, no issues.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
regular bearings and put your seals in backwards with bearing buddies so if your over grease it wont blow your seals your extra grease will just come out the inside seal or when your bearings heat up your bearing buddies wont pressure up and come off

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have oil bath setup and noticed the oil is milky colored so water is apparently getting in there somehow. I purchased the buddy bearing covers from Academy for like 10 bucks. All you have to do is pry the cover off the oil bath setup, right? Just use a malet to pop the buddy bearing cover on and grease w/regular grease? I have a surplus of Chevron SRI grease. It says on the tube "for high temp applications". I assume that is sufficient enough? Trying to complete this project tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I Have Oil Bath On Mine. Turbo Lube Is On The Clear Cap. Had Them For 3yrs Before They Started To Leak. Darn Good If You Ask Me. Got 2 New Hub Assemblies From Boat Superstore. Replaced Them Myself. Huds $65 A Peace. They Come Complete. Its Best To Buy This Way Because If You Get Just The Seals , You Can Dammage The Seal Easily Trying To Install. Trust Me Most Will. Best To Use Seal Installer Tool. Bottom Line Not Having To Mess With Beerings Or Grease For 3yrs Priceless!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
You still need to pack the bearings. Don't just put the buddy bearing on and pump them up.
birdband01 said:
I have oil bath setup and noticed the oil is milky colored so water is apparently getting in there somehow. I purchased the buddy bearing covers from Academy for like 10 bucks. All you have to do is pry the cover off the oil bath setup, right? Just use a malet to pop the buddy bearing cover on and grease w/regular grease? I have a surplus of Chevron SRI grease. It says on the tube "for high temp applications". I assume that is sufficient enough? Trying to complete this project tomorrow. Thanks!

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
Am I missing something? I know there are "Bearing Buddies" which are spring loaded caps for the hub which covers the bearings, but why do people keep saying they have buddy bearings with covers? Are they just saying Bearing Buddy wrong? Is there an actual type of bearing system called "buddy bearing"?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts