2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about my Grandparents recently and all the good times I had with them. For a reason I'm not sure of, one of the things that stuck in my mind was Grandpa's preferred trotline bait. Whenever we would butcher chickens, he would put all the heads and legs in a bag in the freezer. When fishing time came, he would pull them out and haul them to the lake for trotline bait ( much to the chagrin of my Dad, and Uncles ). I really don't think we ever caught any fish on his bait, but Grandpa always claimed we did. I can tell you that it was pretty freaky running the lines about midnight and seeing chicken feet and heads hanging from the hooks. I'm sure the fish thought it was kind of unusual as well. Any of you have unusual trotline stories.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I used to use hot dogs, and even chicken hearts and gizzards. But I never heard of using feet and heads. SPOOKY indeed.

BTW, welcome.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Mudd Cat. This board is bringing back many fond catfishing memories.

·
"OMG...git da net!!!
1,299 Posts
Puts me in mind of N'orleans midnight voodoo rituals in da cemetery...Chickens feet n' such!:eek:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I thought he was going to say Grandpa used chicken lips LOL...

Yessir... never used feets and heads before... don't see why it wouldn't work, but using cut shad is a might easier.... on everyone concerned

·
Registered
550 Posts
Can you see a commercial with a chicken holding a sign reading "Catch more shad."?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts