2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats a good GPS to get to get to put waypoints in for fishing and running bays?

Is a handheld a good route to name stuff, show the names of areas...

It would be nice to have a gps that showed depths, and pre loaded bay maps, speed, etc... but I still want to input waypoints and name stuff or flag areas for submurged obstructions and stuff... itd be nice to show different "logos" and such for different kinds of way points...

Any real good phone apps? Phone apps that HELP predict good bad better days?

A handheld would be best if they show good bay maps.... i dont know what else those facy boat gps rigs do that are worth having...

·
Catch a New Personal - Learn How!
12,826 Posts
All of them have their place... Garmin users claim ease of use. Some of it is personal preference.

All the things you mention you want are all available on just about all the models. Except with the hand held you're likely not going to have sonar obviously.

Really just depends on budget... If you have a boat I'd spring for a mid range 7" if you can.. Garmin, HumminBirf, and Lowrance Elite all good units.
If you are on a shoestring budget then maybe a GPS map 78 with the pre loaded maps.

All of them allow you to mark stuff and have ability to have 3rd part base maps.

As far as phone aps... some like Navionics phone ap.. it will get someone by but then you have to really on your phone battery and the phone screens are just not very bright on a super sunny day and hard to see.

Get what you pay for on this item. I use both.. I use a handheld when I wade and the chartplotter in the boat.

I think both Garmin and Humminbird have some small base level units that work well with some of the kayakers and small boats

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Im still on the fence about all this.... I still dont understand alot of it. I donno why any bay boat needs sonar, or alot of things...

I feel like Im old school. I look at a map, memorize the area run it all and learn it to where I dont need a gps to get around. Only flaw is unknow obstructions. But I dont see how bay fishing you need electronics much at all...

I understand offshore where you cant see land... a gos would be nice then...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Im still on the fence about all this.... I still dont understand alot of it. I donno why any bay boat needs sonar, or alot of things...

I feel like Im old school. I look at a map, memorize the area run it all and learn it to where I dont need a gps to get around. Only flaw is unknow obstructions. But I dont see how bay fishing you need electronics much at all...

I understand offshore where you cant see land... a gos would be nice then...

You ever gotten trapped in dense fog ? Or stayed out too long and had to navigate home in pitch dark ?

I have. I dont run a boat without some sort of GPS on board. I keep a handeld on board if my hard mount unit fails . I also keep a good compass . Maybe its overkill but thats what I do.

Im a Garmin guy

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ive done both heavy fog and night time many times during duck season in the winter. Still dont need a GPS to know where Im going. Way more worried about kayakers and other boats still. I dont use lightbars at night either, that just hinders you. Spot light for 5 second on/off work here and there yeah....

Im still fairly convinced a hand held GPS if anything is plenty.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Ive done both heavy fog and night time many times during duck season in the winter. Still dont need a GPS to know where Im going. Way more worried about kayakers and other boats still. I dont use lightbars at night either, that just hinders you. Spot light for 5 second on/off work here and there yeah....

To each his own. GPS is the one technology I have welcomed with open arms and an open mind

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Sniper I am thinking you are young meaning 25-40yrs old. That was me too in the vase SE Louisiana marshlands when my night vision was better. At 58 the map and GPS is welcome,
Just marking hazards is a plus 10. You can also mark drop offs and reefs. Good stuff
I use Navionics platinum
Try it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im 35. Valid answer. Maybe thats why I see it the way I do... I know the boat units have sonar and other junk on em too, I havent been able to figure out why you need that in the bay either. A good rule of thumb in the bays is if you fall off the boat, stand up. Most areas arent deep. I dont see how sonar benefits you any in 1 to 10 ft of water. Side scan in the bays irrelevant, dont need radar, dont need auto pilot, engine data doesnt seem necessary on a single engine bay boat, forward scan, useless in shallow bays.

Its just my personal opinion, and I make this opinion with no real world experience, so if I was shown how handy this all is it could change my mind. But as of now, it all seems like a waste of $10,000. I say 10k because I was looking at a 10k simrad unit to see what all they do.
I
I see boats all over the place with these. I dont think theres anything more valid than just taking time and learning the area you like to go.

·
Registered
54 Posts
It sounds like you haven’t spent much time on a boat with one. You’ve said 5 or 6 times that these items aren’t needed. If that’s your opinion, I’m not sure why you came on here asking…

You don’t need to spend 10k to get a decent unit. But from a safety standpoint on the water, a chartplotter is most certainly worth the money. Depends on how you fish will determine wether or not the graph is necessary or not. But If you are a serious boater and spend enough time on he water they are a really good investment for what they do.

My advice would be
buy the most you can afford, really learn to use it and rock on. Garmin fan here too. The 93sv on sale at bass pro or cabelas for $700 is a a lot of bang for you buck.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Not sure how you learn the bay and the bottom with out one. Sure you can cain pole the area you are in or wade the area and learn the bottom and sure you can run without one but unless you are running the shore you have no idea where you actually are on a map out in the bay. It all looks the same. I fished with a old timer who grew up on the bay and used trianglation with land marks and compass not gps or sounder to locate areas. I started using a gps and sounder 20 years ago to learn the bay and still feel like I am learning so much each I go out. 52 years old now.

i can’t tell you how many times I have seen boats run aground out there. And while exploring I have come close to running aground countless times. This is with a sounder. I refuse to run my boats without the sounder working. Basically it is running blind.

So for safety reasons especially if your are taking kids out and for learning the bays I can’t imagine a bayboat without one.
Archie

·
Waiting on duck season...
2,230 Posts

Then why did ask about them? This is not a very intelligent position. I know my typical areas very well and don’t really need one but I sure love having it. I don’t need a scope to shoot but it makes it easier... People also fish new areas and maybe they fish fresh and saltwater. Sidescan can be very useful even in 8-10ft of water. If you want to stay stuck in the dark ages and use the stars to find your duck blind have at it. The rest of use dummies with no egos will carry on....

·
Registered
17 Posts
Buying a unit with side scan is probably the best item I've purchased so far. you can find so much with it in areas you don't know. Before I had a boat I was out in a kayak shoving my paddle in the bottom to feel for shell/rocks/grass for hours on end. If I wasn't catching fish I was scouting. it was exhausting but I had to find it somehow. It's truly astounding how stupid it is to work these units and find structure. You have all the waypoints and marks that you will need to do what you are asking. Just bite the bullet and get one. Ya aint gonna regret it. If everyone else does it why not you?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts