2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lowrance GPS/sonar/map (LMS 600) from a few years back that needs some TLC. Over the years the plastic on the female connectors coming out of the boat that plug into the GPS have disintegrated and now need to be replaced.

Has anyone done this before? Where do you get the connectors?

Thanks for any tips.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
Maybe Lowrance or your favorite marine store.

·
Charter Member
5,939 Posts
Chance, this may sound a bit hoakey (or *******), but it worked better than the original setup.

I assume you are talking about the power connectors. I had the same situation happen on my old Eagle Z-6000 fishfinder. I bought a two wire trailer connector and soldered the wires directly to the unit male ends. Then I filled the remaining part of the cavity with silicone and let it set up. From then on, I only had to plug, unplug the trailer connector. It worked great.

On my rig, I only had a positive and a negative to deal with. I don't know what your setup is like.

But, it may be something to think about.
Good luck.
Mike

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good tip

MT - That's not a bad idea. The cable comes from the GPS antenna through the boat up to the console and into the back of the GPS. The plug that goes into the GPS is a 3 prong female plug.

If I seal the end of the plug with tape to prevent silicone from entering the connectors then set it plug side down in something to let it set up that should do the trick. I may need to take a knife and reduce the diameter of the silicone to match the size of the hole on the back of the GPS but that's no big deal.

Probably cheaper and less of a pain in the butt than replacing the cables all together. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts