2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many choices....

I'm looking for opinions on the right GPS to buy. Here is what I think I want and need in a GPS...

handheld
waterproof
marine use primarily
auto use too
marine mount and auto mount available
easy to download maps or separate cards for maps - I want SIMPLE!
maps for TX, LA, and FL, incl. FL Keys
color display
seriously good battery life
not interested in sounder/depth

I would appreciate any feedback you may have. I run a small boat, sometimes in the back lakes, and sometimes carry my kayak.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
838 Posts
I picked-up a 498 Garmin at Cute Rate, discontinued model, to mount on my dash. I like it. I have a Garmin 76C that was too small for me to see. I will sell it to you if you decide you want one. Dash mount, power cord comes with it. Brand new in the box. Came with my boat.

·
Getting shallower means chewing mud
1,643 Posts
rtoler's 76C would be a good choice if it is the right price.

I use a Lowrance H2Oc which is exactly what you described you want. With the mapping software (6 cd's that cover the whole US) it will run you about $370. I keep mine in my truck and it has pretty good city and hwy. maps. About the only complaint I have is the lack of turn by turn directions, which I knew it did not have from the get go. You could always use a bigger screen, but most handhelds are about the same size. You have to move up in price and physical size if you want a bigger screen.

Can't speak too much on the battery life as I keep mine plugged in to 12 volts most of the time. I also use some rechargeable batts that probably don't last quite as long as alkalines but obviously pay for themselves. I had it with us last weekend on a buddy's boat offshore. I ran it for about 8 hours or so and it didn't die. I did not use the backlight for that period though which would have really zapped the batts.

Tim

·
Registered
903 Posts
I'd sugest the Garmin GPSMAP 478. You can use it for the auto as well.
Out of all the GPS units I've had to use the Garmin units were the most straight forward on navigating through the menus. The 276 is a cheaper unit without the BlueChart maps, but still has the North America road maps. It's actually $300 cheaper. I'm thinking of going that route.

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=964

I have the 76 hand held, but it only holds 500 waypoints, and the screen is too small.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts