1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Bucs

I have them here somewhere..........stand by

This will get you in the neighborhood. Galveston Area lease block 288

Lat 28 53.75 Lon 094 42.50

I understand some of the rigs have been cut off for reef material and are marked by buoys. I have not been there to look, just what I have heard.

These numbers are off the Top Spot Gulf of Mexico chart. My Hilton's chart book is on the boat. You should get a copy of the Hilton. Both of these are available at Academy stores, or Cut Rate (Fishing Tackle Unlimited). You should have one or the other if not both before you make a trip offshore.

Good fishin'......................Bob

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the Hilton book but like you its on the boat and a buddy is going out this afternoon and wanted the numbers so I figure the guys on the board would help out as always. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you are looking for a book with great numbers we have had great success with Rik Jacobsens book. The numbers are always right on the money and there is no extended look time when trying to get on a spot. I have fished both but not enough of Hiltons to really offer an oppinion on it. I know the two spots we tried to fish took 30+ minutes to find as the numbers were off a bit. Just my 2 cents. I do know that having some book if you are just getting started is big help, versus just driving around bouncing off rigs that have a bunch of babies on them. www.redsnapperfishing.com

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
Here's the numbers off of the Hiltons Map.

Bucaneer Field 288's
28 53.454
94 41.688

Also a wreck nearby the 296's

CLEO SUE
28 52.015
94 42.012

·
Banned
407 Posts
Snapman, you the guy that hooked mr. blue on that rigged ballyhoo? I heard there was a story behind it, something about an ill fated, death-defying trip?? Care to share the story?

·
Banned
594 Posts
Here is the exact reading out of Rik Jacobsens book
28 53 476 by 094 41 710
28 52 038 by 094 41 847
All of the numbers in riks book are right on the money. There is no looking around and guessing if you are on or near the spot.
In addition to the numbers, Rik also trys to note any relevent information about the spot.
EXAMPLE (discription out of Riks Book)
BUCCANEER AREA PARKS AND WILDLIFE REEFS
This reef area was just established on the late part of 2003. Much of the new reefs are what is left of the old Buccaneer Field. In addition to the steel of the former rigs the inshore reef was placed (almost touching) an existing obstruction
These readings are almost equal distance, east out of Freeport and south out of Galveston at approximately 30 Nm range and about 67 ft of water

If there are any publications that provide this much accurate detail about structure located along the Texas Coast, I sure would like to know about it
Capt Chris

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes that was me. We had a great trip, lots of fish and the real icing on the cake was the blue suit. We had a couple of minor issues with a hydraulic line that was easily fixable and there was a pretty large storm that chased us down for a while but not to bad. All in all it was a great trip. Lots of fun. Looking forward to doing it again soon.

·
Vendor
2,793 Posts
numbers

Rik's numbers are right on the money, the hilton map is a good source also but I have found that many numbers are PA. That's position approximate. I'm sure they are close enough that a person with decent equipment and knowledge could find the structure. Not trying to criticize Hilton, alot of the numbers are right on also. It's a nice looking map. Just my 2 cents also.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts