2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I am gonna ask the same question everyone has asked on here. What has everyone found to be the best GPS/Fish finder? I have played with a few and I am still not sure what to get. I have about $1,000.00 to spend, really need to spend less. I have a mid-size boat with limited space, I fish 85% Saltwater inshore 10% Offshore 5% Freshwater. So would like to get an all in one. I have heard GPS-Garmin, Fish finder-Hummingbird. I did like the Lowrance HDS-5 multifuction, but I don't know. I you could help, let me know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My father and I both have Lowrance models. Before I sold my boat, I had the 532c and never had any problems with it. Be sure to get the Navionics Chip when you buy one. The details in the bays make a world of difference. My father has a larger Lowrance GPS and he too has not had any problems. I have never owned any of the others so I can't speak for them. I have heard from other people that Garmin makes a great GPS as well. Good luck with your purchase.

·
Banned
2,368 Posts
Hummingbird 957c will give you what you want for about $650.00

·
Registered
325 Posts
I had a Hummingbird, the old kind. Can not even remember what model it was. Then I fished with a few buddies that have the Garmins (color). Thats what I was going to get but then I saw the Lowance 339c at a good price and I'm happy with it.

May I suggest one that will bring up the tides and what ever you buy read the manual so you can utilize the full potental of it.

·
RODS DOWN!! LET THE BOAT BUZZARD PASS.
2,149 Posts
I've had the Garmin 498 for three years and this is its third time to be sent back to Garmin and another $175.00 to get it replaced.
First time I sent it in still under warranty for shutting off on me while running. Replaced the unit and wiring.
Second time same thing it would shut off while running. Out of warranty so $175.00 replaced unit $15.00 for replacement wiring.
Third time the unit worked great for 4 months. It never shut off while I was running but the dept finder started jumping around from 8ft to 150ft. then it just stayed from 120 to 200 feet. After several tests that Garmin had me try they suggested I change all my wiring and transducer. So I did but it never helped. So a week ago I sent it off to Garmin with another $175.00. So I'm hoping the third time is the charm.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts