2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am mounting an external GPS antenea and was looking for ideas. I don't have a T-Top yet, but plan on getting one soon, so I was thinking of a bracket mounted on top of the rail above the windshield. Any ideas, thoughts or pics?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Cat O' Lies said:
Here is what I came up with.
How long have you had that bracket attached? It looks like 3/16 aluminuim .If it is not very soft material it will crack at the brake due to vibration. You may want to ad a brace @ a 45 deg angle.

·
Kamikaze
4,570 Posts
I've had that bracket for a while, and it's not going to break. It would have by now, if you knew what conditions that boat has been in. The antenna is not heavy and the aluminum angle is more than strong enough to hold it to the console!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pic. So I guess the antenna does not have to be the highest point on the boat? Any problems with interferance?

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
I was told that you need to mount it as high as possible an without any thing obstructing it for more efficiency. Not a lot of experience with it on my part .

·
Roll Tide!
15,791 Posts
I don't thing a 3oz GPS anteana is going to crack that bracket unless you hit it with a hammer. LOL!

As long as it has an unobstructed view to the sky, it isn't going to have a problem reading the satellites. I fish on a Lake & Bay a couple of months ago that had the GPS anteanna surface mounted on the rear transom right next to the poling platform. It didn't have any problem with reception. Even at 60 mph.

Too answer your question though, I've fished on a number of boats that had the anteanna surface mounted on the top of the console. Usually in a front corner. If you stick it on with some double sided 3m tape it will stay for quite a while, That way you don't have any holes to worry about when you get your t-top.

·
Kamikaze
4,570 Posts
Height is not important. Unobstructed view of sky is! VHF antenna is a different story!

·
Registered
889 Posts
I bought one of the pvc anteana mounts, mounted on left hand side of top hand rail, so far so good

·
Fish, Eat, Sleep...REPEAT!!
476 Posts
I have had mine on the cc since I got it...no problems...oddly enough, I bought the bracket to mount it directly behind LMC 332C on the arm that puts it about 8" above the cc.

The plate I tried is the GPS adapter plate at the bottom with all the holes.
You can see it in the 2nd pic "original system with adapter plate".

Not sure why, but I kept losing the GPS signal!!

·
Registered
155 Posts
My extra coax and antenna (same type as yours) is coiled and tie-strapped "underneath" the fiberglass console and has always worked perfectly. Never had any interference problems. Not sure about an aluminum console though…..that might cause interference.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
muleherder,

That is the mount I used afterall. I found it last night at Academy for like $5 and it fit perfectly...

Thanks again to everyone for all the help. Hope to post pics soon.

DR

·
Yellowbellied Perch Jerker
1,670 Posts
The antenna doesn't have to be the highest point on the boat. It's not line of sight like VHF, but satellite. Some people have them mounted under the console, some under poling platforms, some have the puck sitting on the console, much lower than other things on the boat. If you are getting a t-top, I wouldn't do any drilling on the boat. Just bracket mount it on the grab-rail and secure the cable with ties. That way you can remove it and be no worse for wear afterwards.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts