2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My depth guage on my Lowrance GPS/depth finder blinks too much on my screen. It is unpredictable. I have checked the tranducer mounted on the stern. It has the proper angle, proper location and is tight enough.

I really want to see the proper depth when I am in shallow water and when the boat is on plane.

Two questions:
Any suggestions to limit the blinking?

Would a tranducer mounted in the hull solve this problem? Will the depth guage still blink on occassion?

Thanks for suggestions.

·
Registered
7,832 Posts
Just a guess here

Id guess there is too much turbulence under way at shallow depths for it to pick up properly. I know my Garmin starts blinking at 1.6 and when it does I better start turning around. Would be my only guess. Does it still blink when sitting still?

Z

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i do not recomend putting the transducer in your hull you will loose quality. sounds like a grounding or power problem. i would go back and check the wireing first. make sure you don't have loose or rusty wires. if you are displaying a gps and fish finder on the same screen and only one side is blinking but both are getting power from same source, then you may have an lcd issue or display issue.

·
Member when we usta.......?
2,835 Posts
1.6, better turn around. [email protected]*********. My Lowrance does fine to 1.0 as long as I'm on plane. Once on a drift it starts blinking at 1.5. Usually if the water's that shallow I stick a pole down to check the depth.

·
Always Chasing Tails
203 Posts
Gps

It is getting to much turbulence and vibrations when you are on the plane. If it is blinking in shallow water it might be to shallow for it to read. Mine will read up to 1.2ft. After that it starts blinking.

·
Ankle Deep Custom Rods
3,467 Posts
mine starts in blinking around the 1.6 range.......if it only does it in shallow water, then I would guess it can't read at that depth, if it does quite often I go with turbulence. Mine will also start blinking in a hard turn to the oposite side of the transducer location but it picks back up when I come out of the turn

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the comments and help guys. I just got back into town.

I don't have any pictures of the position of the tranducer. It seems to blink erractically - sometimes it blinks in 4-5 feet of water, other times it blink while sitting idle.

I do have a fish finder and gps on the same screen. Only the depth gauage ever blinks.

I am wondering if my TRP may cause more turbulence than most props? The unit is only about 2 years old and seems to have good connections with no rust anywhere on the boat, much less on my electrical connections.

Would running the cable wires through the T-top have any affect on the signal?

Like others, I originally wanted to use my depth gauge to warn me of real shallow water less than 1- 1.5 foot.

Thanks again for the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts