2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We had a great day fishing. Went out of Freeport ~50 miles and caught 3 man limit of snappers, 2 man limit of aj's, 3 kings and 8 asst. reef fish. We had a blast with the aj's!! Thanks to Capt. Jack for putting us on the fish again. While we were anchored this shrimpboat came barreling down on us out of no where. You can see him in the 2nd picture way back. Then he kept coming at us without veering off one way or another. Came within feet of hitting one boat as you can see in the pictures and snagged one of our flatlines and ripped off 200 yds. of 150lb. spectra. :hairout: It was unbelievable how fast this boat was going (full speed) and to come that close to us. It's name was Two Didos acted more like to Dildos. ***? Are these guys sleeping with their boat on with autopilot on? There were 3-4 boats total where we were fishing when this guy blazed through there. Too close for all that open ocean out there. The out rigger cable draggin in the water could have easily cut that smaller boat in half missed them by just 1-2 feet. Why?
Then we get back to the dock and I went to get the trailor and noticed this truck was parked in the water. It had rolled off the other side of B.B.T. Boat ramp. One guy told a freind of mine they had an auto start on his engine and his truck was a standard.:confused: He said when he went to start his engine truck was in gear and jumped off the other side. :rolleyes:
Has anyone ever seen anything like this before? That shrimp boat couldn't of had a Capt. at the wheel doing driving like that could they? Why would a standard truck have auto start if you have to leave it in gear to keep it from rolling. Wouldn't it have a lock out of some sort?:help:
We had a great time out there thanks again Capt.Jack.:dance:

1st picture is me with aj
2nd Mark S with a huge Mangrove snapper
3rd Capt. Jack with a 23lb aj
Next 3 shrimp boat trying to kill someone

I will have to post other pictures on my next window computer would only allow 6

Attachments

·
They call me............PAWPAW!
3,020 Posts
***!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

Ya know, a couple handfuls of them big 'ol snapper size egg sinkers placed strategically into the wheelhouse would have woke someone up!!!!! Trust me, one of them yahoos rips past me like that and we'll play chase until the Coasties show up!!

·
Registered
10,637 Posts
ROTFLMAO, that is classic with the truck.

I would be extremely ticked off at that shrimper though, coastguard would have gotten a call for sure.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nice fish, gotta love it.
Is the smaller boat in the picture anchored , drifting or
under way ? Any way, If I were the Capt, I would be getting out of the way .
No making any excuses for the shrimp boat, but How does a boat that big " come out of no where" in the open gulf ? My rule of self survial tells me big boats under power have the right of way. I don't want anyone to have to say, He is
dead , but he did have the right of way.

Be safe out there
MO

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Potlickers

We had a boat roll up on us while we were drifting behind a shrimp boat on Saturday, not 50 yards from us. I yelled at them but they were stupid and stayed there. Then they went in between us and the shrimp boat about 50 yards away again, and were within 20 feet of the boat. Some people will never learn.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Them shrimpers are getting close enough to see if you have any ladies in bikinies onboard , They are in a desert and boats are oaisis, we had one last year flagging us down as if his deckhand had fallen into the winch . All he wanted was a cold beer and some eye candy , both he recieved, and we given about 100 lbs of cull !! Bardered with em saturday for 50 lbs of cull, there must have been 100 shrimpers from the 3rd bar to 60nm out saturday

·
"FIRED UP" Contender
1,146 Posts
when you see a tanker coming you way do you hold you ground? I don't agree with the shrimpers but I move out when there steel involved...

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The operator of the little boat has his hands on the throttle and steering wheel in 2 pictures , the third he is baiting up the angler on the stern ? Nobody in the little boat is looking worried at all. The Larger boat is idleing through. Little boat is underpower . That is what i see. ,,,,,,,,,,, The Dodge in the mud speaks for its self !!!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The pictures of the shrimp boat may not be in chronilogical order. Little boat was drifting and big boat was haulin_ss!! Look at the wake coming off that cable cutting through the water and that out rigger cable how close it came to ripping that small boat in half. We were anchored, that other boat had been drifting around us for about an hour. Had someone on that shrimper been awake surely he would have steered further away than that. There is absolutely no need to drive that close he ran about 1-2 miles further south then anchored. The(shrimpboat)that is..

texasjellyfish said:
The operator of the little boat has his hands on the throttle and steering wheel in 2 pictures , the third he is baiting up the angler on the stern ? Nobody in the little boat is looking worried at all. The Larger boat is idleing through. Little boat is underpower . That is what i see. ,,,,,,,,,,, The Dodge in the mud speaks for its self !!!!

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Most important "rule of the road" = the rule of tonnage. Second most important, is the legal responsibility of ANY skipper to take action to avoid collision - stand on, give way, whatever.

Agree that's pretty bad form on the shrimpers part, but you may not be that far off with the "asleep at the helm on autopilot" theory.
Report him if it makes you feel better

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
You should have had some water balloons filled with blood red paint and lobbed a few on her ....:dance: J/k

Yea what the deal with the Dodge....

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
F250 4WD pulled it out amazing seeing how that bumper and rear axle was bottomed out on rock and the front in buried in mud. It grunted and groaned F250 Tranny was whirring high pitch noises. 2-3 minutes later he finally popped it out of there. Not too much cosmetic damage on outside of Dodge. Don't know about tranny, rear axle, shocks, muffler, engine on that Dodge getting all that Saltwater in it? Heres a few more pictures.
reel lax said:
How did they end up getting that Dodge out ??? and how much damage to it ?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 46 Posts