2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a chance to get out and wet a line for the first time in what seems like years. Actually it's been about 2-3 months but that's way too long between trips. I hooked up with the two cousins I grew up fishing with and we made a day of canoeing and kayaking the sabinal in search of Mr. Largemouth. Words can't describe and the pics don't do this part of God's country enough justice. All I can say is thankyou Lord for such opportunities.

We started off our journey down the river at 7:30 in the morning and the ride finally ended around 5:30 p.m. That's right, a ten hour stress relief session in crystal clear water with tons of wildlife and natural springs around every corner. We saw Audad, Axis and Whitetail roaming freely as we did our best to cover sunked stumps, lillypads, and everything else that could be considered cover for our target species. Here are some of the pics from this weekend...

Attachments

·
Chillin'
4,570 Posts
Sweet

Your last pic makes ya feel like you're right there. Thanks for the Monday morning escape. :)

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Been there

Been ther a few times. We used to also catch Rio Grande perch on occasion. They seemed to be a little more difficult to catch.

If you want something more extreme, try the Devil's River north of Comstock. Three day float to the take out, but nonstop smallmouth/largemouth action.

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad you all enjoyed the pics...

TH, we let in on the river at a place the locals call 4 mile brige. Called that simply because it's four miles outside the town of Utopia going toward Sabinal. We ended our float at the 8 mile brige. It's quite a long stretch that winds through the hillside and looks untouched by this modern era.

The terrain did seem to be a bit different considering the massive flooding that's taken place since 98'. It was a great holdover until I can get back to the salt. If you ever wanted to test your casting accuracy this is the place to do it. The overhanging limbs and brush take no prisoners. Well I guess since it's impossible to get a lure out of a 50' Cypress the lures are the only prisoners taken...LOL

·
Twisted Fisher
279 Posts
Looks Perfect

WTG. Just those few pictures brought back memories of my Dad and I floating rivers, fishing down current holes and catching or dinner every day. I'll never forget those memories and since my dad's passing I reflect on them quite often. Thanks for sharing!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts