2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks a bunch, Stix! The neat thing about these racks:

We took them from a standing oak that needed to come down. To the mill, to cure for 7 years, to the planer ( all on my neighbors land), to my shop next door, to what you see now.

This has been fun, and as close as most carpenters get to pure love of the material as we can get. It has been fun and hard to do. Native Texas oak is a lot wilder than what you can buy at a lumber yard. Out of 100 feet of material, this is the result. I culled so much material, but that will become fuel for the briskets! Nothing will be wasted. The sawdust and chips from the planer are already in the flower beds. Now how cool is that!

Next project: A friend of mine handed me a stack of walnut! That's MY rod rack!

·
Charter Member
6,663 Posts
The best of both worlds.

I can not begin to express how fortunate I feel to be one of the few people on earth to have the privilege of having the exquisite workmanship of both BillyStiX and Cool Change in my fishing room. 2 BillyStiX sittin' in a one of Ricks custom made rod rack. Lemme see ya beat THAT! The only thing I could think of to beat it would be 3 or more StiX in 2 or more Rick-Racks (did I just come up with a new term? :D )

Neither of my "Rick-Racks" or my BillyStiX are new but still, I sometime find myself wandering into the old fishing room to admire them. Oh sure! As far as function goes I can't imagine any better on either item, but sometime is is a pleasure just to own something. Something that is special in uniqueness, beauty and something that has a special meaning derived from it's origins. More than just fishing rods and a place to rack 'em, They have special meaning and importance to me and are among my most prized posessions.

Rick, Billy...y'all da MEN! :D

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
I have only one problem, CC, to get enough racks for all my rods.....well, you'd be able to retire and I'd have to work for another 25 years. Those are some beauties. Tight Lines, AC

·
That DamnYankee!!
4,076 Posts
CoolChange©© said:
Next project: A friend of mine handed me a stack of walnut! That's MY rod rack!
Looking good Bro.

A buddy of mine recently brought me a 3" dia. by about 6' long walnut "dowel" that his dad machined but never used over 40 years ago. It's gonna become the center post for a walnut & cherry rack here one of these days.

Later,

Jeff

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankk you, Sir! Why don't we work together on my retirement! VBG!

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jack,
Thank you so much! That post means so much to me. I do these racks for 2 reasons: I need money!, and I love a Busmans holiday. When I was a young man and well influenced a certain man of an older nature took me under his wing. If I told you he was Steve Young's (Stix) cousin Greg, would you believe me? If I told you we all deer hunted would you believe me! Oh well!

What I learned then and what I know now is that wood is an organic compound that constantly changes, constantly moves. No two pieces of wood are the same. They are in constant motion. It is up to a carpenter to try and tame that little flucuation(sic). What we call, "Dang why can't they get it to stop doing that!!"

I know that I love what I do, and maybe I need to get with Billy and see if we can kick it a notch. Who knows, my friend!

Thank you, VERY much, for your post!

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That walnut just kicks it to another dimension! Eh, but I won't go there! LOL!

·
When it rains, I let it.
2,861 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
oops, that was directed a AC. Sorry

·
2006 Skeeter Cookoff "2nd Place Brisket"
6,428 Posts
The only thing I could think of to beat it would be 3 or more StiX in 2 or more Rick-Racks
Yep,,, me too....LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts