2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, just got back from the vet and found out my best friend, Lilly, has terminal cancer. I am having her put to sleep tomorrow. I am hurt, but my son is going to be devastated. He is 7 years old and has been best friends with Lil his whole life. I don't know how to tell him, and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this. I know it is a great life lesson, and want to approach it correctly. I've had 4 labs and this one has been the best of them all...

Attachments

·
Banned
2,983 Posts
I know how you and your son feel. I'm so sorry for your loss. Cancer just sucks so bad, one way or another it affects everyone. Yall will be in my prayers.

·
TxDuSlayer
4,770 Posts
I know what your talking about they are such great dogs and friends. my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
As tough as it sounds, the best way (IMO), is to just be blunt and truthful with your son. Tell him she is sick and it's not possible to make her get better and let him know how much it hurts you too. This is just my experience in this situation. Prayers sent for all of you.

·
Registered
7,215 Posts
man that is sad. friend of mine lost his dog last year to cancer. i have a feeling you will know what to say to your son. my prayers are with your family.

·
PGA Member
7,828 Posts
Painful, sorry to hear about Lilly, God Bless you and your family though these tough times.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Being a father of young children, I can see how this would be a very tough thing to do.... Wait until there's a calm moment at home (my house is crazy most of the time), separate him from the rest of the family (i.e. take him to your room or his room), sit down with him, and tell him you have some very serious/bad news to tell him. From that point on, the words will just flow, as will the tears. Make sure God and Heaven are part of your conversation.

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Been there with 2 different dogs. Both Chows. So sorry to hear. I just told the kids the truth and that they had gone to dog heaven.

·
Registered
265 Posts
All my prayers and thoughts for you and your's. I had to put my Jake down after 13 years. My daughter teethed on his ears. I cried for weeks. It is very painful...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Prayers sent to you.

Hugs & prayers for you. Man that hurts so much to have to do that. The absence is what makes it so hard.

·
Registered
966 Posts
kmarv, I am very sorry to hear about your dog and friend. We just faced this yesterday with one of our mini Dachshunds. She was fine until about 10:00 yesterday morning when she lost the use of her back legs. We rushed her to the vet to find out she had a blood clot in her spine and would never walk again. It was a very hard decision to have her put to sleep in such short notice. We just got back from a 2 week RV/hunting trip and she was fine. At least she got to go on one more trip before she left us. I know it is tough to do but try and be strong for your son.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I had to put down a lab in July. He was 15 years old and I let my daughter (10 yrs old) hold him as he passed away in the clinic.

This is a decision you will have to make on your own, just remember, you only have to explain the truth once...

·
Registered
762 Posts
I know how you feel. We had two great Goldens while my daughter and first grandson were living with us. They both went to be with Jesus and Great Papa. After all they need a good dog too.

Thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

·
Saw Varsity's Horns Off
554 Posts
I'm not sure what to tell you, other than you are in my prayers...so sorry man.

·
Shoalwater 23' Cat
503 Posts
Prayers

I have gone through a very similar situation however my son was 5 and my lab was 13. It has been a year now and not a day has gone by with me not thinking of her. We tried to explain the sickness to my son as he saw her degrading over time, and that she was going to a better place. I have tears in my eyes as I type this. My prayers have been sent to you and your family.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
That is tough, bro. I know it is going to be hard to explain to him that it is best for Lilly. Try to explain to him that dogs are only with us for a short period in our life because there are so many of them that need good homes, when one leaves, it is because another needs your love more. There will never be another Lilly, but there will be many great dogs in his life (and yours).
Prayers sent and may Peace be with you and your family.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts