2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon (Friday), two of my fishin' buds, Howard and Ed, and I took off north of the causeway, hoping to find specks in slicks and/or over deep reefs.

After a few minutes of fruitless fishing we got soaked in a serious rain storm- in addition, the gentle NE wind went SE at 20 kts or more under the thundercloud. I really, really need to get some kind of top for my boat- Bimini ot T-top- not just for rain, but the hot sun, too.

We ran out of the rain and fished a deep reef, immediately picking up a nice 22-incher, and that was it for that place. Then we went to a favorite spot north of the causeway bridge, south of the dike, where we picked up 11 more specks, including 7 keepers.

The big problem was Ladyfish- every cast, a ladyfish. The specks were there, but had a tough time shouldering in to get a whack at our baits. It's funny- 20-30 years ago, a ladyfish (skipjack) was fairly rare in upper West Bay.

Final tally was 8 keeper specks out of 12. Kinda slow, but an okay afternoon, spent with friends who love to fish like I do.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,135 Posts
Good Report.. Gota watch out for those afternoon storms.. I went to galvetraz at 3 and got h ome and it had rained two inches.. That was a 30 minute span lol

Kaylin got caught in a white out the other morning on the bay, i know she was freaked.. She just wont admit it

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
good one

Way to go Dave!!

Was going to call you last night but decided to hit the beach with my son instead.
We caught a lot of dinks, snadies, mackerel and gafttops. No where near as you guys did.

Good looking 22" trout.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.