2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got to ICM on Thurs around 11:00 PM looking for my boat and my place to sleep and all I found was a 2 or 3 boats in the water and a shed full of intoxicated workers. I had to get a hotel room because Randy had once again forgotten to tell anyone that boats needed to be put in. On Friday AM I had to waken a still drunk forklift driver to not only take care of my boat but now 2 others that were also waiting not taken care of Thurs as promised.

Randy stumbled onto the dock around 6:00 am with a 6 pack in tow smelling like the night before grousing at the world that he is the owner and can do what he likes......... like some sort of Hitler impersonator. He came over to me at the fuel dock and was blabbering about how much trouble I was for wanting my boat in and out of the water all the time. Went so far as to accuse me of not being normal for working on my boat on the dock a couple nites before in order to be ready for the weekend. I never caused any problems at ICM....always paid my bills and made sure the cleaning table was clean and the hoses were coiled. Anyone who knew me there knows that is true.

So when we got back on Fri evening we had nowhere to dock. Apparently being a very good customer since they opened that place didn't mean a thing. As a matter of fact it occurred to me that was precisely why they wanted to get rid of me.....apparently 7 or 8 longtime customers others have been run off before me.........they have a waiting list and would like to get rid of as many frequent users as possible. Makes perfect sense when it interferes with your home (drinking) life! Maybe nearly dropping a boat off the top rack or was it the one that sunk or both that they decided they would prefer customers didnt use their boats much.

It was a great place last year when Mike was running it........he made ICM what is was.

This year is so different...........questionable fuel bills, motors not flushed, unreliable service just the tip of the iceberg. My suggestion would be to buy your fuel elsewhere and keep your insurance current.

I thought people should know the truth about what is going on there and what happened to me could happen to anyone. Usually when you evict someone there is a legitimate reason........the only explanation we were given was "I am the owner and I can kick anyone out that I want to" !

Those of you who know me and my son David know we are not trouble makers, just a Father and son who like to spend time together on our boat and we will continue to do so........just not sure where yet!

George

·
Did you see the size of that Chicken
90 Posts
Sounds like your better off not being there!! if someone doesn't want my business then they don't have to have it, or the money that goes along with it!!!!!

I hope you find somewhere to keep your boat that treats customers right.

·
Administrator
23,854 Posts
George, that sounds like it really sucked. Good service is hard to find these days. I wrote a 4 page letter today to the idiots that sold me my RV. I doubt we will change either firms ways.

·
88 Ag
6,229 Posts
From what it sounds like you are better off not being there. You don't need a drunk taking care of your floating $$ that way. It may be a major inconvenience but better/safer in the long wrong.

Jim

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
this is the 3rd or 4th time someone has posted negative about their new management..... sorry for your loss, as I am sure it really is a loss.

·
Its easy to grin when your ship comes in
5,919 Posts
that is a real drag. Chris (blood) was telling me about that. Trautwein, Otte, and now you are history from there. You are right about Mike. He is a good guy. I heard about them not flushing engines. I heard somebody's peehole was caked with salt. Have you talked to Rip at Kirby yet? They might be sold out right now though. I am so glad I did not put my boat there. Those 2 new marinas cannot get online soon enough I guess.

·
NRA LIFER
3,210 Posts
Even though my boat is at Bridge Harbor I am hesitant to bring it up. Customer service is pretty d**n scarce there as well.

But, operating under the premise of "any port in a storm" might get you through the season and some breathing room to decide on the future.

There may be a sling hoist on "H" dock that can handle your boat.
Bob

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I make friends easy so I'm not too put out at the moment but will check with Bridge and Kirby. At least won't be my boat that gets dropped off the forklift. The owner (Randy) is a sad and pathetic little man and wont be long before he drinks himself out of business.

·
Registered
10,635 Posts
if he keeps that stack full, with 85 boats on average $250 a month, that is 22k a month or 255k a year. It would take 8(make that 10) years if you put every cent you made back into the business. More than likely and realistically it would take the life of that drystack to pay off the debt. I guess if you wanted to take a risk and hope the value of it went up, it might make an investment opportunity. Maybe 1.2 and I could swing it. :)

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
Yeah, they have that overpriced by a solid 1mm, maybe even 1.5 mm.

·
laid up here in a country state of mind
534 Posts
you can buy the land and build a bigger one for about 1 mill. Dont forget about fuel and bait. It would make a good investment at about 1 or 1.2. I was not impressed at all when i pulled in to get fuel from their single ancient pump. I havent been back since. I have my boat at Kirby. The bunk lifts are great. If he hasnt sold it by the time the new marinas are built, it will stand empty.

·
Banned
756 Posts
Sounds like another coastal bro in law / " Finance this and I'll run it til we find some sucker to buy it scheme". A friend of mine was took in a scheme in a coastal town a little down the road. I would not doubt there are some creditors who are hanging back like snaps around structure waiting for some California speculator to jump on this. By the friends I have in the drystacks in CL I would say about double + $what it is worth.

Those creditors wont show up until the place is sold to someone else. He probably has no means to pay. They wont repo and close it down.
I bet anything he gives a little discount for cash.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts