2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guadalupe River State Park - North Unit not hunted last year. There where 10 pemits issued I will hunt from Oct 4th thru the 8th, assigned stands and baiting allowed. unlimited hogs and exotics and 2 whitetail only 1 buck. I never hunted this area,are been to park, any one out in TTMB land ever been there are know anything about the area?
Thanks Lobo Jim

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I hunted there a few years back on a gun hunt but we were in the park unit. I'm not sure what they are calling the N. unit. There were relatively few exotics but still a chance of seeing one. I think they had some blackbuck crossing the property and an occasional Aoudad. There is a pretty decent # of deer and hogs. My hunt was a doe/spike so of course all I saw were decent to big bucks. I watched a beautiful 10pt with about a 20 spread eat my corn for an hr. with no does in site. Watched an 8 chase a 6 in the same area and bed down together close to the big boy. We tried to stay in a camp in Fredericksburg so we had a good drive each day and with the assigned blinds, made for a long day. They load you up and take you to and from the blinds. You gotta go with them or stay all day. Don't know how much you hunt park hunts but here are some tips that work for me.

If you like the area and can bait, throw out about 100# of corn the first night then maybe another bag the next night. MOst game will find it if they are there anyway.

Take a pop-up, ladder or small tripod blind and sit it a few yards from the park blind in the same area. Deer in parks tend to know when someone is in the blinds that stay there.

Good luck, let us know how you do and Pm me if you have more questions.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I got drawn and hunted Inks Lake SP a couple of years ago. Here's my advice;
I passed on a couple of good deer the first day thinking that I would see better ones, and I did. In my campsite at night!! The problem with the hunt I did was all of the deer that needed to be managed, were in the physical camp ground and not in the hunting area. I was hand feeding 8 pointers at night and passing on small does during the hunt.
Take plenty of corn to bait your hunting area.
Good Luck!!

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys !!

for the input this will help. I have a 5 gal feeder that hangs in the tree and feeds twice a day, also a pop up ameristep dog house hunting blind with shoot thru netting. I am shooting 100 gr, Slick Trick broadheads at 62 lbs now all I need as some thing to shoot at. I will be allowed 1 buck any size and 1 doe, all the hogs and exotics I see. Do you know if there are hogs in that area?
Thanks
Lobo Jim

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
G.R. does have a good number of hogs, pretty fair chance you may see some. Like I said, I'm not sure what they are calling the N. unit.
Leave the 5 gal feeder at home and scatter the corn on the ground. The archery hunt will be one of if not the first hunt of the year and the acorns may still be on the trees. Don't be sca-red to throw out some corn. These deer are not used to hearing a motorized feeder going off if they stay mostly on the property, it may spook some of them.
Maybe scatter out some "hog wild" with the corn for the additional scent.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts