2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Bobby
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got charged by a pig at around 7 this evening. As I was walking around I hear grunting to my right. I look over and there is a group of 20-25 pigs all staring at me (probably 50 yds). I should have just taken the shot then and settled with 1 pig but I was carrying a supressed remington 700 in 300 blackout with subsonic rounds... (Its a new gun and I want to be able to shoot multiple pigs out of the same group). Anyways there was a small rise between the pigs and I so I duck down and start crawling up the hill to get a shot. As soon as I am down on all 4's here comes this 250+ boar over this rise. (never doing that again...) He is about 20ft from me when I see him coming. I get a shot off and drop him at about 10-12 feet. I thought I stoned him. He went down without even twitching. Stayed down for about 3 seconds then started kicking and got up and ran off into the brush... I wasn't about to follow him but am going to try and go look for him tomorrow after work.

During my panic I only had one clear thought. If I dont hit this pig I am going to have a very very rough day....

I did have a glock 17 with me but there was no chance of me pulling it and taking a shot before he was on top of me...

I always hear about people getting charged but always thought they either instigated it or were exaggerating... I was on a large low fence ranch with the fence behind me. And I wasn't between him and any piglets...

·
The Migration Stops Here
2,342 Posts
Glad things turned out alright! When I get within 40-50 yards of hogs, I am drawn and ready for that exact reason... They are very unpredictable animals in close quarters!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just curious, have you found the supressed 300 blackout to be quite enough that the other pigs do not run away immediately after the first shot? Glad it turned out ok.

·
fish control my brain
7,707 Posts
I love how some think you will have time to pull you side arm and get off a shot in time .... I happens so fast you don't even have time to drop your rifle ...most of the time .... Glad it worked out for you

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
I love how some think you will have time to pull you side arm and get off a shot in time .... I happens so fast you don't even have time to drop your rifle ...most of the time .... Glad it worked out for you
An old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm.... "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" - 'No ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts