2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Anyone Happen To Read The May/june 2006 Issue Of Ducks Unlimited? The Article Titled "decoy Snows In Close" ? They Talked About Settin' Up A Spread Of Fullbodies Consisting Of About 800-900 Decoys On Motion Stakes!! I Plan On Buying About 2,500.00 On Sillo Socks, But 800-900 Fullbodies At 180.00 -200.00 For Half A Dozen!!! I Think The Motion Stakes Alone Would Cost As Much As 20 Dozen Sillo's. Although It Says They Did Have 3,000-5,000 Geese Landing In Their Spread. I Guess I Just Found This Amusing, Cause I Sure Don't Have That Kinda Cash.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bayouboy said:
Or a truck big enough to carry all those full bodies
YEAH, THESE GUYS HAD 3 TRUCKS WITH TRAILERS. MAYBE TRUMP HAS TAKING UP GOOSE KILLIN?

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
I'll tell you what the big deal is, first how are you going to get them into a wet field? You won't be pulling a big trailer out into a rice field. On a wet year you won't be pulling it into plowed fields or even wheat and rye grass either. So they are only useful in dry fields you can get a truck into for the most part. On top of that you can't be out in the field putting decoys together the afternoon before if you want to kill geese. You need to leave the birds alone and let them have the field until they are ready to go back to roost that evening. I am speaking of how things are down here on the wintering grounds now. Where those boys are hunting is a totally different ballgame. Many times they are not even hunting a feeding field and they are hunting in an area where the bird density is hugely magnified as compared to what we have here. Birds on the move act a whole lot different than birds that have been in an area for a long while.

I am speaking from first hand experience on the problems getting them into the field. One of the guys I hunt with has several hundred Hardcores and we use them late season from time to time if we have a field we can get the trailer into. They are a pain in the butt and to be real honest they are not any more deadly than windsocks. There are days you will whack 'em and there are days they won't go for it. Same as hunting windsocks. I know, I have had many days where he hunted fullbodies and I hunted windsocks. Some days he kills more, some days I kill more.

I bought 50 doz Sillosocks last season and I love them. They are great decoys. I am planning on adding more this year.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm just sayin that it isn't a big deal for them ! Didn't mean to start anything . Yeah all that you say is true and I agree 100 percent . I would just rather get a guide or just to hunt a field that has feeding birds without using decoys!

·
Registered
8,401 Posts
we ain't gonna work that hard for our goose huntin'. 2-300 rags and socks. they come in or they don't. if they want to feed in the field yer in it's cake. Kurt.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sillo's Are The Only Way For Me. 2 Guys Can Set 20 Dzn. Up In 15-20 Mins And Taking Em Down Is About The Same. And Like Saltydog Said, If You Got A Wet Field..... Ouch! Brings Back Memories From Last Year. Thought I Was Gonna Croak Over Right In The Field Haulin Rags Out To The Truck (about 100 Yds. Of Wet Soggy Ground). I'm With Kweber If They Don't Like My Little Ol' Spread I'll See Them On Another Day.

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
saltyoperator said:
Didn't mean to start anything .
I know you didn't. I didn't mean it to come across the way it did. I am just saying, if you are out there setting up a spread in the afternoon down here it'll suck tomorrow morning. You bump 'em out of a feeding field they will move on to another and guess which one they will go back to in the morning?

I wouldn't hunt geese in any field unless they are feeding in it either.

SCM, my clients loved the Sillosocks last year. I got more compliments on them than you'd ever believe. They go out so fast and easy and pick up so fast and easy the hunters just love them. 3 guys could set 50 doz or pick up 50 doz in way less than an hour. The birds loved them too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts