2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Watching Heartland Bowhunting on the Sportsman channel and they are gooose hunting with their bows!!!! Great another thing that I am going to ad to my Bucket list!!! Pretty darn awesome if you ask me

·
TexasJ
386 Posts
I wonder if you could lob arrows into large numbers of geese out in the middle of a field. Wonder if you could pick them off without them spooking off...

·
Theoretical Ecologist
2,411 Posts
I wonder if you could lob arrows into large numbers of geese out in the middle of a field. Wonder if you could pick them off without them spooking off...
Only works if there is just one goose and you nail it first shot.

That was a neat video of the Canada goose hunt. They called in small groups and then took turns with each group trying to nail one on the ground. You only get one shot per group because none of them will stay after the arrow hits the ground. They had some really nice full body decoys and one of the guys eased up from behind a hay bale and nailed one the decoys....perfect shot right where the wing would join the body, but the real geese flushed and left.

There was also a video of a timber hunt where they would land the mallards and then try to shoot one.

If you're good, you can occasionally hit one flying. Geese and sandhills are a lot easier than ducks.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
I have shot many birds with my bow...but not ducks and geese YET. I tried to get a local outfitter to let me bow hunt on a day hunt a couple of years ago with some friends....but he said no. I took my shotgun instead, but paid attention to how close the shots were. I would have had 4 or 5 realistic chances at geese that day.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Man thats gotta be tough, i watched a show a while back were a guy was tryin to hunt Cranes with a long bow. Needless to say he didnt get any.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only works if there is just one goose and you nail it first shot.

That was a neat video of the Canada goose hunt. They called in small groups and then took turns with each group trying to nail one on the ground. You only get one shot per group because none of them will stay after the arrow hits the ground. They had some really nice full body decoys and one of the guys eased up from behind a hay bale and nailed one the decoys....perfect shot right where the wing would join the body, but the real geese flushed and left.

There was also a video of a timber hunt where they would land the mallards and then try to shoot one.

If you're good, you can occasionally hit one flying. Geese and sandhills are a lot easier than ducks.
Those were some nice full bodies to be putting a arrow threw!! It looked like a lot of fun. Hopefully I can go and do this soon. Ducks would be pretty hard I believe. Small and quick, you better be an excellent shot!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts