2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As promised, Eagle Lake goose hunting report.
SLOW...., actually, most of us did not fire a shot and no geese were taken. We did have them coming over the spread and looking, but none would commit. We kind of knew that it had not gotten cold enough yet for the hunting to be great, but thought we could at least get our specklebelly's. To add to the lack of geese in the area, it was warm and clear, with very little wind. The kids and I still had a great time just getting out together and enjoying each others company, so overall it was a very positive experience. My Daughter really enjoyed laying in the spread and looking at the stars, watching the sun come up, and seeing the different types of geese fly over.
Following are some pics a friend took, some random, and some of a roost pond we found while driving around Friday.
Again, thanks everyone for the advice.
Enjoy,
Jeff

Attachments

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
The geese are acting a little strange this year. We hunt a few places around Beasley/Taverner and usually dont see many geese except for a few specks in November. Thanksgiving day I was heading into town on 90 and saw around 6-7,000 in the air. Just waves of em. They have been in the area since the second week of November. They were in a rice field just North of 90 and 1875 for 2 weeks in early November. They do have alot of options at the moment with lots of food and water around. No need to go back to the roost for water so they just arent moving much.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point chuck. I also heard that the hatch was somewhere in the neighborhood of 5%, so the majority of geese out there are older and at least somewhat spread shy.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Ive seen groups on the ground with anywhere from 5%-20% young birds. Not good but not a total bust either. Ive also heard that the snows yet to make it here have a higher percentage of juvies. We just have to wait and see.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
GOOSE HUNTING

I agree it's been a tough season. After opening day limit of 18 specs I've only goose hunted one other time until Friday. Friday we had a 6 man limit of specs(12), then only 6 specs on Sat. Sun produced only 3 specs, didn't hunt todays, couldn't figure how to shoot 1 1/2 Specs.
This front has pushed in alot of new birds, I also have counted better than expected snow hatch but they have been tough so far.

Good luck
Grand Poobah

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
If it rains the 1-2" they have predicted today we are gonna need snorkels to hunt em this weekend. It still hasnt dried out from the 3" we got the Friday before Thanksgiving. It looks like I will be sleeping in and catching up on some yard work this weekend.

·
Let's Go Fishin Boss!
7,913 Posts
I appreciate the update fellows! Our 450 acre lease is just northeast of Eagle Lake and last weekend was extremely slow as well. Lots and lots of flooded rice fields for them to choose from right now.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Looks like the weather folks are calling far a 30% chance of some snow for Friday. We may actually have a Winter this year after all. I bet we see alot more geese hit the prairie in the next few days. Full moon and cold as heck should do the trick.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I have heard that the conservation order season is a very good time to goose hunt, is this usually the case?
Last year was fair at best. There wasnt a whole lot of food or water left to keep em around in many areas. They have wised up to the callers but you can still get on em if you have the weather and set up right. I prefer the regular season. The best part of goose season will be in the next couple of weeks. Most of our geese will be here and with this front we should see some large numbers of cacklers arrive.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have heard that the conservation order season is a very good time to goose hunt, is this usually the case?
Last year was the first season that I did not even make one CO hunt. There were just no birds on my place. But, prior to last season I have found the second half of February to be the best time to hunt if you still have birds. Not many hunters and they get relaxed.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
CONSERVATION HUNTS

I agrees with mwaites, If the geese hang around awhile you can hit them hard in the middle to late February.
Hey Chuck, I guess I got lucky as far as mud, I hunted plowed fields all three days last weekend, wasn't muddy at all except in low spots.
DON'T UNDER ESTIMATE THE ADVANTAGE OF HUNTING PLOWED FIELDS.
I do agree with several comments it's about to get good!!!

Grand Poobah

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I agrees with mwaites, If the geese hang around awhile you can hit them hard in the middle to late February.
Hey Chuck, I guess I got lucky as far as mud, I hunted plowed fields all three days last weekend, wasn't muddy at all except in low spots.
DON'T UNDER ESTIMATE THE ADVANTAGE OF HUNTING PLOWED FIELDS.
I do agree with several comments it's about to get good!!!

Grand Poobah
I love the plowed fields but the row crop stuff I have is still real nasty. Makes your boots weigh about 60lbs each after 4 or 5 steps. I hope most of the rain misses us this time around. Alot of wind would help dry em out and we seem to be getting that now.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts