2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As some of you may have read in my other post, I am taking my Son, and Daughter on a goose hunt soon. This is my Daughter's first hunt, and the 2nd for the Son, and me, and I have a few questions for the gurus here.

- Shot size, BB has been recommended, is that okay, or is T, or BBB better?

- Shell brand, is Black Cloud worth the extra $, or is Winchester, or Remington just as good? Other brands you prefer. Daughter shooting 3", son, and I, 3 1/2".

- I have heard that a small jacket, or back pack is nice to have to put under your neck while in the field. Any other clothing/comfort/tactic hints?

- My Daughter does not currently have any waders, should I get her a cheap pair in case the field is wet/muddy?

- In general, what is considered a "safe" amount of ammo to take along?

- Do most of you transport your ammo in a dove vest, or drag an ammo box or something out in the field?

- Are camo masks, or face paint very important?

Thanks very much for your help, and feel free to add anything I may not have asked about.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
-BB is fine....

-Brand is a toughy... if the geese are in your face or within 35 yards, I would say the Win. Experts are fine... But I personally have seen a difference when you bump up to a higher quality load.... Kent Fasteel is a good one thats in the middle on price and quality.

-I always bring a backpack where ever I hunt... it comes in handy for all kinds of things, including holding extra gloves, jackets, TP, shells, all kinds of stuff!

-Let me know what size waders she wears... I have a few boxes of Brand New Still in the Box Neoprenes sitting right here next to me as we speak that I need to sell... (find out what size in Mens)

-Safe amount of ammo for beginners is 3-4 times what your bird limit is.... last thing you want to do is run out of ammo... you can always bring it home for next time.

- I use a blind bag to transport my shells, calls, flashlight, handwarmers, snacks, water, bird strap, etc to the field...

-Camo masks or face paint is extremely important..... If you have ever flown over a lake, marsh or ag fields during duck season, you can easily see people who have not taken an effort to cover their bright shiny faces (and middle fingers... haha)... Shiny faces to flare birds, but so does movement. Remind the kiddos to be as still as possible when birds are flying (unless flagging). Keep still, keep covered, keep killing...

Glad to see you getting them out there in the field. Let me know about the waders and be sure to post up pics after the trip!

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
BB or BBB is fine, either one will be great and I doubt you'll notice any difference. I shoot both and kill geese with both.

I prefer better quality shells for goose hunting. I will shoot cheaper steel at times for ducks but I always spring for better quality loads for geese. Federal Premium steel is my favorite. I also like Remington Nitro Steel. Kent Fasteel is pretty good and so is Winchester Drylocks. Those are the main choices you will see. Federal Blackclouds are good shells but they are not night and day different. They are a quality steel load with a different type of wad. If you want to try them they are fine, but I doubt you'll notice a difference over the other premium steel.

Look for loads that are around 1450 fps. 1400-1550 fps is all fine. A 3" 1 1/4 oz load at 1450 fps is what I normally shoot and it works fine. For 3 1/2" you are looking at a 1 3/8 oz load at the same velocity.

I always carry 4 boxes of shells on a goose hunt with more in the truck. I generally keep a full case in the truck all goose season, just in case. Typically you'll shoot 1 1/2-2 boxes on a good goose hunt but if you hit it right you can easily shoot 3-4 boxes. Shooting more than that isn't unheard of but doesn't happen all the time either. I'd rather have extra left over than run out.

As far as facemask or camo paint, use them if you want to. It can help and it depends on the method of concealment you use as to whether you'll need them or not. I'd take something along those lines with you and then talk to your guide and see what he says he wants you to do.

As far as backrests, I would think the guide would provide backrests. I know when I was guiding we provided backrests and everything you needed for concealment be it a ghillie blanket or a white parka. I'd call the guide service you are using and ask them about all of that.

I use a waterproof shell box for my gear. The olive green Flambeau boxes work fine. They will hold 4 boxes of shells and anything else you might need.

One other item you should pick up is a cheap headlight for each of you. The little Eveready LED headlights that Wal Mart sells for about $14 are perfect. They do not need to be bright, you just want enough light to see where you are walking. They are great for putting out the spread.

As far as waders I do not typically wear waders unless the field is standing in water or if it is going to rain during the hunt. I generally wear knee boots and then slip on waterproof pants or bibs over my jeans right after we finish putting out the spread. I also use a waterproof ground pad. Avery makes one that is just a camo, waterproof, roll up mat. You just put it down, put your backrest down and lay on top of that. It is small enough that it does not cause a concealment issue but will keep your backside dry if the ground is damp. Waders will work fine, though. I am just alot more comfortable w/o waders. Especially when setting and picking up the spread. Course when I have to wear waders I actually wear knee boots to put out the spread then put my waders on after I get the spread out when i go park the ATV.

One last thing, pack light. You need a gun, shells, a light and whatever you are going to wear. When i was guiding I would always have guys bring huge bags of **** they would never need. They would bring gadgets and gizmos they would never need or use "just in case". I had to get all that **** out into the field for 4-6 guys plus my spread, backrests, parkas/ghillie blankets, etc, etc. Then once in the field I'd have to tell guys they needed to hide all that mess, which is tough. Talk to the guide service and see what they say they provide and then from there decide what you need to take. Don't take a bunch extra.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Charlie.
Ox I heard the same just hoping they got the forecast wrong and a cold front will blow through on Thursday, or Friday.
Another question, (assuming we can any light geese in the spread at all) What 2, (or more) different types of geese will be the most important to have my Daughter be able to identify? Juvenile specklebelly, and a young dark phase snow goose, (blue)?

·
Registered
79 Posts
As some of you may have read in my other post, I am taking my Son, and Daughter on a goose hunt soon. This is my Daughter's first hunt, and the 2nd for the Son, and me, and I have a few questions for the gurus here.

- Shell brand, is Black Cloud worth the extra $, or is Winchester, or Remington just as good? Other brands you prefer. Daughter shooting 3", son, and I, 3 1/2".

- I have heard that a small jacket, or back pack is nice to have to put under your neck while in the field. Any other clothing/comfort/tactic hints?

- My Daughter does not currently have any waders, should I get her a cheap pair in case the field is wet/muddy?

- Do most of you transport your ammo in a dove vest, or drag an ammo box or something out in the field?

Thanks very much for your help, and feel free to add anything I may not have asked about.
Salty Dog gave a lot of good advice. I dont know the age of your kids, especially your daughter that this is her first hunt?? Or is it her first goose hunt? A goose hunt can be a tough deal for someone's first hunt. Most of your questions should be answered by your guide a day or two before the hunt. Weather and where the birds are will have a lot to do with where and what you need. Dress WARMER than you think you need to. IT IS ALWAYS WARMER ON YOUR BACK PORCH THAN IT IS IN A FIELD. If you find yourselves laying on your backs and then shooting, tell the kids to sit up to shoot. There is no give between the gun and ground!!! Good luck and let us know how you do. Have you scheduled the hunt yet??

·
Registered
4,486 Posts

I like BBBs. If lots of young birds and good decoying, BB's (or 1s) work well. Mostly pass shooting, T's are called for. BBBs are a good compromise.

I don't think BC is worth it. Another vote for Federal Premiums.

Good idea, if you're not against a levee. Some of the new layout blinds have built in back rest, or the guy putting on the hunt may have them.

Absolutely. Layout blinds leak and geese love nasty rice fields. Also, it could rain on you. Keeping your girl dry will go a long way toward comfort. I like to hunt in knee boots or hippers, but unless I know what awaits me in the field waders are the way to go.

Two boxes will usually get you by.

Camo blind bag or backpack.

Totally. Part of the fun is watching the birds work. Maybe the next most important thing besides your gun.

You didn't say where, with whom, or what type geese you'd be hunting. If you're hunting dark geese in the panhandle you can stick with #1 shot, and a box should be enough. It tends to be dryer there, so waders aren't quite as necessary.

Reactions: JDS

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Thanks Charlie.
Ox I heard the same just hoping they got the forecast wrong and a cold front will blow through on Thursday, or Friday.
Another question, (assuming we can any light geese in the spread at all) What 2, (or more) different types of geese will be the most important to have my Daughter be able to identify? Juvenile specklebelly, and a young dark phase snow goose, (blue)?
Even pros screw that one up if they come in alone and silent. Keep your kids close and you or the shot caller (guide?) have to make those calls.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The guide will call the shot. You should not have to worry about anyone needing to be able to ID birds. If you end up killing a limit of specks then the guide will be careful to not call a shot on a juvie blue unless he is sure of what it is. Just shoot when he says to shoot and don't if he doesn't say shoot. If he is worth a flip you'll have no worries. Hunting with who you are hunting with you should be fine.

Tell the kids to be thinking about shooting in 'zones'. That is, if you are on the right side of the spread you shoot the birds on the right side of the flock, left side of the spread, left side of the flock, etc. You'll get one good shot off and from there the chances of hitting a bird go down drastically with each shot. One bird is going to stand out and if you are not careful everyone will shoot the same bird and you end up knocking down 1 or 2 when you could have killed 3 or 4.

·
Farmboy
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again for all the great advice.
Turbo, my Daughter has hunted with rifles , (killed her 1st deer at 9) but is new to shotgun hunting.
BTW, we are hunting Eagle Lake with Butch's Guide Service.
When my Son, Nephew, and I went a few years back, (not with Butch's) we got a total of 1 goose, and 1 duck. In spite of that, the boys could not stop talking about what a neat experience it was. They were thrilled to get to put out the dekes, listen to the guide call, and watch the geese work in the distance, and I was just thrilled they had a good time.
Whatever the result, we will be in God's great outdoors having a unique experience together. Other than our safety, I can't even ask for anything more than that.
Thanks again for the help,
Jeff

·
www.boatinsurancehouston. com
269 Posts
Without a doubt the most important thing for your youngsters in the goose field is keeping them dry....that avery mat is a good choice along with waders...dont rely on what the guide tells you about it being dry etc...more than once ive been told that by guides and left my waders in my truck at the gate only to ride out to the field (like an idiot) wo my waders on to find a damp soggy field...this was not with a bush league guide service either...talk about miserable laying on your back on some hay in a provided white parka( not waterproof as advertised by guide) for 5 hours...upsets me to this day for doing so and knowing better most of all but a close second for the shotty advise from a man i was paying for a good time....all that aside things can change on a dime anytime youre hunting and where the guide had planned on going may have been dry may no longer b the place youre going when you meet them at the whataburger at 415...just my .02 best of luck on your hunt tAKE SOME PICS

·
Registered
368 Posts
The most important thing is keeping the young ones comfortable. When I use to guide I Always liked to have the kids by me so I could help them out a little and help the parents watch them. As for shells BB's or BBB will work fine and always bring at least 2 boxes or preferably more. You never know better safe than sorry. Just listen to the guide, be safe and enjoy the time you are spending with your kids. Good luck and post some pics.

TRW

1 - 15 of 15 Posts