2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im working on a project using google earth. Im basically entering all the community spots & waypoints that can be found on any fishing map. It's pretty tedious work because you have to convert GPS coordinates to Longitude / Latitude making it very time consuming. Im also adding the data for when the specific areas are expected to be productive. I fish a lot of areas and most of the times I don't even know they already have specific names to the specific area. Im not a spot fisherman but I think this will help me learn areas a little better and maybe fish an area I haven't ventured in before.It will be accessible through the google earth app on a cell phone. If someone has already done this let me know and save me a lot of time. lol

Attachments

· Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David, do you have Navionics plus on your boats gps? Most spots are named. Actually now that I think of it, I think mine are named from a previous gps i had that was bought at the Houston Fishing Show. It was downloaded with all the Hook -N- Line hot spots. My current GPS is an accumulation of spots & trails from my previous boats dating back to 2008.
I bought one of those that you load up in the gps a few years ago, I didn't like that it took up so much of the screen with data points. I ended up removing it although it did show me a lot of reefs in San Antonio Bay that I didn't know about.

· Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Are you just making pins on earth or trying to copy waypoints from your unit?
On Google Earth. I don't want to upload them to my GPS because they consume too much screen space. I'm making it so I can access the data through a cell phone or tablet from the GE app. Even without cell signal the phone gps will still show you where you are on the app.

· Registered
POC to Baffin Bay
2,703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
David onX maps might be worth taking a look at. It’s a hunting map but I just pulled up the bays and it will give you Long/Lat of any spot you touch on the screen.

Warning you can waste hours looking at properties: it gives you the property owner, their mailing address, property boundaries for private and public, how long each property boundary is, elevations, you can drop pins and measure distances between locations, weather and probably a hundred other things that I haven’t figured out.
I was just messing with this app for a bit, I could probably sit all day looking at info. Lol..
I knew there were some large ranches where I grew up but I had no idea they were this big.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts