2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
30,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i witnessed something pretty cool yesterday afternoon.

my aunt's yard was full of tree limbs following the storm, so after i finished my yard yesterday morning, i headed over to her house to get started over there.

i had worked for about two hours when i decided to take a break. i was sitting on her front steps enjoying a cold beverage when this caravan of vehicles pulls up to aunt sissy's house. this one guy says out of the window of his truck, "hey, need some help?" i looked up and down the street at this caravan wondering what the hell this was all about when he says, "it's no charge, brother."

before i knew it, 23 guys had leaped out of these vehicles with chainsaws abuzzing working like an army of ants. they finished in less than 30 minutes what would have taken me the entire rest of the day to finish, if not more.

kudos to "the rock," a group of christian volunteers from a church group in gainesville, florida, who drove all the way over here with this army of guys and an arsenal of tools with the express intention of spending a week or two over here helping out anyone and everyone who needed their help cleaning up from the storm.

i sat there and just watched in amazement while all of this happened. after they finished, we all gathered as a group for a few photos, then as quickly as they came, they were back in their caravan and headed down the street. they stopped at the end of the block, and before you could say "hurricane ike," the chainsaws were buzzing again in someone else's yard.

there's still good people in this world. i was truly touched by these guys and this whole happening. :smile:

http://www.therockonline.org/

the bleach blonde guy in the third picture was the leader of the group. thanks again, guys. y'all rock!

Attachments

·
Urban Chicken Farmer & Shark
2,323 Posts
Awesome! always good to see people make an effort to help others!

·
1,188 Posts
I just love to hear stories like that. I sent them a thank you email for their hard work. God bless these people and everyone like them.

·
Done Wit Dat
7,538 Posts
Man, I've got a similar post to make myself. As horrible and depressing as these things are, they do seem to bring the best out of a good deal of humanity. I've always thought that the meaning of life was, that we were put here to help others and hopefully leave the world a better place than we found it. These people who are giving selflessly of their time and effort are the best of what humanity has to offer.

·
Tripped Outtings
2,261 Posts
MY THOUGHT WOULD BE

It's very simple Guys and Gals, "It's Just The Way Some People Roll".
To some, they measure Success by what they have, and others measure their success by what they've given. Never keep score and our life will seem easier to deal with no matter what happens. Wow, sounds like i'm from Texas huh?

·
Don't ask if you don't want the truth.
13,305 Posts
Wow, this is a time when I wish I had a boat and offshore experience.

It would be a great jesture to hit those guys back up when everything is back up and running and take them out.

Thanks for sharing that story. I agree with the other suggestion to get that story to some media outlet.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
They're paying it forward. Good hearts doing good deeds. It's so great to see true concern for others instead of someone trying to make a buck off of others misfortune.

This made me bawl like a baby.

·
Registered
236 Posts
BIG PAPPA said:
It's very simple Guys and Gals, "It's Just The Way Some People Roll".
To some, they measure Success by what they have, and others measure their success by what they've given. Never keep score and our life will seem easier to deal with no matter what happens. Wow, sounds like i'm from Texas huh?
Never keep score... Amen. Good post.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts