2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in dire need of a new pair of boots.

I have some basic square toed Ariats right now and love them, but I need to put them in the shop for a few days to be resoled and I need an additional pair of boots to add to my fleet.

I have been to 4 different Cavender's, Boot Barn on Center Street, Baskins in Dickinson, and Anderson's in Baytown, but I havent found one that I like...

Either they are uncomfortable, wrong size in stock, or I just dont like the way they look.

Can yall give me some more places to look? I live on the East side (Baytown area) and I dont mind driving a little to see some different selection.

My budget is $150-$300. Not after anything too exotic...

Any ideas are greatly appreciated....

ALSO, does anybody know any places that can resole a leather sole quickly? Andersons is the only place Ive found over here and they are saying 8-10 days, not including the holidays....

Thanks
CHURCH

·
Native Texan
10,973 Posts
Cavenders usually has a good stock of boots. Might check there.
As far as the resole, there is a dry cleaners/shoe shop on Bay Area (South Side) just before you get to HWY 3 that does good reasonable work. Don't remember how long it takes, but remember thinking it wasn't long.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive already hit the Cavenders in Baytown, Channelview, Pasadena and 45 South and have had no luck...

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
It's been a couple of years since I've been in there, but there used to be a guy that worked in the Katy Mills Boot Town outlet that really had his act together: finally figured out what size and manufacturer I needed for my "build" of feet: I had a lot of boots before that where I just went with my standard sizes and just kinda found something that I thought fit: he sent me on another tangent and I've never had boots that were that comfortable....I never knew just how much a little knowledge of the product could make a difference: regular shoes are easy: boots were a whole different animal, and it dang sure made a difference for me when I found that guy...

·
Native Texan
10,973 Posts
Sorry, I missed the part about the 4 Cavenders in your original post. I usually find what I am looking for there.

·
\../\../\../
939 Posts
If you happened to be going west, you should stop at D&D in Seguin. They have a better boot selection than Cavender's and it's not so main stream. You get alot of boots that you have'nt seen before.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Jessys boots & repair is South Houston on Collage avebetween 1-45 and Galveston rd.

i get mine done there for the last 20 years,good work, can even make custom boots for ya.
heck he even made me my riding vest

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Do y'all have a Shepler's? They've got a good selection and have sales frequently. I get email updates from them every week and fliers in the mail regularly. I have saved a fair amount of coin using their sales updates, and their prices seem to be comparable to Cavendars.

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the heads up guys....I dont think they are any Sheplers in Houston... but then again, I dont venture too much outside of the East and Southeast sides of town....

I might just have to see about offering some extra $$ for express shoe repair until I can find those perfect boots....

The rain last week killed me.... wet socks all day=not fun

·
Super Moderator
3,739 Posts
Jessys boots & repair is South Houston on Collage avebetween 1-45 and Galveston rd.

i get mine done there for the last 20 years,good work, can even make custom boots for ya.
heck he even made me my riding vest
I will second Jessies in South Houston. He does great work and is one of the few custom boot makers around. You walk into his shop and go back 40 years! Great old time leather craftsman!

·
In God We Trust
2,565 Posts
Thanks for the heads up guys....I dont think they are any Sheplers in Houston... but then again, I dont venture too much outside of the East and Southeast sides of town....

I might just have to see about offering some extra $$ for express shoe repair until I can find those perfect boots....

closest Sheplers will be in Austin I think. They do have a little more selection than Chavenders but basically the same name brands.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts

Nope, sorry. Just did their store locator.

San Antonio, Ausitn, DFW and Amarillo are the only locations in Texas.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I definitely recomend Jessie as well, when I worked at cavenders he took care of all of my boots. he can even handle the double welt and crepe soles, used to just take him three days for turnaround. Turner saddlery on 45 north in spring used to have a good selection of anderson beans, and rios, but I'm not sure if they are still around. Also I cant remember the name of who took over the old D&D on 290 in Hockley but I'm sure they have the same thing that everyone else does. Best of luck on your search. Good boots are tough to find!

·
Paddle solo, sleep tandem
3,601 Posts
great thread, I need to have 2 pairs of boots resoled? I have a couple of riding style heel and cowboy heel as well. PM if need be. Thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
I definitely recomend Jessie as well, when I worked at cavenders he took care of all of my boots. he can even handle the double welt and crepe soles, used to just take him three days for turnaround. Turner saddlery on 45 north in spring used to have a good selection of anderson beans, and rios, but I'm not sure if they are still around. Also I cant remember the name of who took over the old D&D on 290 in Hockley but I'm sure they have the same thing that everyone else does. Best of luck on your search. Good boots are tough to find!
Turner's has gone out of business. That store is now a Horse & Rider Store. I have not been it to check out merchandise.

·
It wasn't me!
6,569 Posts
Do y'all have a Shepler's? They've got a good selection and have sales frequently. I get email updates from them every week and fliers in the mail regularly. I have saved a fair amount of coin using their sales updates, and their prices seem to be comparable to Cavendars.
Just got another Shepler's 20% off card in the mail, heading there today.

To the OP. Sometimes I will go find a pair I like or the size I need for that particular brand. Come back home, plug the boots in google, search for a coupon code for that store, and order them.
A good place is http://www.rods.com/

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
:cheers:
I am in dire need of a new pair of boots.

I have some basic square toed Ariats right now and love them, but I need to put them in the shop for a few days to be resoled and I need an additional pair of boots to add to my fleet.

I have been to 4 different Cavender's, Boot Barn on Center Street, Baskins in Dickinson, and Anderson's in Baytown, but I havent found one that I like...

Either they are uncomfortable, wrong size in stock, or I just dont like the way they look.

Can yall give me some more places to look? I live on the East side (Baytown area) and I dont mind driving a little to see some different selection.

My budget is $150-$300. Not after anything too exotic...

Any ideas are greatly appreciated....

ALSO, does anybody know any places that can resole a leather sole quickly? Andersons is the only place Ive found over here and they are saying 8-10 days, not including the holidays....

Thanks
CHURCH
Try Double "H" Brand. Made in the USA.

Most comfortable boot I have worn.

Ariat....Made in China. I know I know alot of Ariat lovers out there but a Cowboy/western boot that was made in China just doesn't sit well with me.

RedWing also a great boot!

·
Registered
92 Posts
stop by and visit with Rocky Carroll - RJ's boot company.

ella / 34th.

don't know if he is still working his trade, but the man knows how to make boots.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts