2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Old School 2cool
8,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A crew uses an excavator to clear silt buildup in front of the boat ramp near the entrance to the Texas City Dike on Tuesday afternoon. The work is a precursor to rebuilding the dike, which should begin by March.

Construction equipment arrives at Texas City Dike

By T.J. Aulds
The Daily News
Published December 16, 2009
TEXAS CITY - Avid anglers near the Texas City Dike were encouraged Tuesday when a large excavator was sighted working an area near the entrance of the dike.

The 5-mile-long dike has been closed since Hurricane Ike made landfall and wiped out the dike's road and washed away the bait camps and fishing piers.

While the work under way was part of the overall plan to rebuild the dike, dike goers need not get too excited. The excavator was removing silt buildup at one of the dike's boat ramps.

The city is not scheduled to award the contract to rebuild the dike until the end of January, Mayor Matt Doyle said.

The city has not received the money from the Federal Emergency Management Agency that will go to pay for most of the repairs.

FEMA allocated $5 million for repairs to the dike, about $6 million shy of what city officials said will be needed to repair the pier.

Doyle said because the wet weather was preventing public works crews from working on a drainage project on the city's west side, crews shifted to the dike to do some preliminary work on the dike's three boat ramps.

Doyle said the city should start accepting bids for the repair work by the end of January, with work scheduled to begin by March.

Doyle said he hopes the dike will reopen by October.

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,160 Posts
about time
x2 , back in the day they could build stuff rather quickly, like empire state building
How long did it take to build?
The building was actually completed ahead of schedule, taking only one year and 45 days to build. , hoover dam
Five years. The contractors were allowed seven years from April 20, 1931, but concrete placement in the dam was completed May 29, 1935, and all features were completed by March 1, 1936. dike is built and has been over a year to start repairs with all the red tape is ridiculos, with people needing work, also all the people that are wanting to use it for fishing, crabbing, boat launching, cruising, looki louing, as our lack of boat ramps fishing piers are mostly still not usable, city, county, states, WASHINGTON needs to git of thier azzes and start gittin er done!:headknock

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
But the Empire State building wasnt dependant on a broken system such as FEMA who gave all the money away to our friends in LA.

I think they should focus on reopening the ramp towards the end of the dike, it was a nice ramp compared to the others. Deep and steep for boats to 36' and protected ... just my $.02

x2 , back in the day they could build stuff rather quickly, like empire state building
How long did it take to build?

·
" TEXAS TILL I DIE "
26,160 Posts
But the Empire State building wasnt dependant on a broken system such as FEMA who gave all the money away to our friends in LA. " i was under the impression that the money printing press was going 24/7 in washington, guess that money is destin for better uses, pork projects etc, lol

Attachments

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
The Grand Cay Harbour development is defunct, so you'll have some nice canals to fish in.

The Corps. had all the power poles removed and would not allow above ground access to replace the old lines.

To their credit, David Weekley sent all my money back. I wonder if I get to keep the blueprints to the house. It was pretty nice.

·
Manvel Mob
829 Posts
I just wonder how much their going to charge now? You can tell by the article their setting it up to charge a higher amount by saying that FEMA money is only going to cover half of it.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
Guy where you been,, they voter her in saturday amigo!

Reactions: Mike77015

·
Cert.Weigh Master,since 1999
15,196 Posts
This is my .02 worth but a yr. ago the mayor was
going to try to have THAT ramp open to boaters only. The rest of the dike would stay shut due to construction. This would allow boaters to at least lv. that area to go elsewhere or maybe to fish areas around the dike. Which would really be outstanding. We'll see what happens. Digging out that immediate area is fine for launching, but leaving will be another chore. Their was only one little channnel, approx. 45degrees out U would have to follow. If the tide was low U'd have to tilt ur motor for sure. Silt surely rearranged that...U think? That shovel reaches so far out. It won't be able to reach that channel. All in all, its great something has began. Good news...

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Whew... From the topic I thought he was talking about the mayor of Houston...

Thank ya, thank ya very muuuuuuuchhhh..

·
At the gym
4,704 Posts
I remember and was kicking that idea around the other day with some folks. Wondering if a boat lift/storage would work again out there.

·
----------------------------------------
23,724 Posts
You mean the TCPD is going to have to stop writing $260 tickets for trespassing?? How are they going to make ends meet?? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts