2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite the “boat surfing” on the swells in Galveston bay, we still had a pretty good day on the water. I fished with Medula this am. We started out at 2am and bounced to the Galveston channel. After fishing a few lights we ended up with 4 keeper trout, 2 barely legal and 2-16’s. Lots of undersized, including several thick 14.5’s that had to go back. Around 730, we headed to swan lake where we ended up with one 24 in red and 2 large sheepy’s. The sheepshead will be grilled tonight. Left the water around 11. Fished for 11 hrs with live shrimp ( all catches) and didn’t catch a single hardhead, couple of rays but still no hardheads Pic’s of the catch will follow later tonight.

With the wind howling like it was, I didn’t expect much, but thanks go up for a great time on the water.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the pics

A sheepy for the board and I nice catch at the end of the day.
I also used a tip I saw on "Fishing with Keith/Allen(?) Warren". He was fishing GAlveston bay with a guide named "Mangus". They had a red bead on the line resting on the croaker hooks so I put one on my line. My bud caught 1 trout, I did the rest. Dont know if it worked or not but I'll fish it that way for a while.

Attachments

·
JimD
7,161 Posts
Seen the bead used several times. Chris Martin suggested using it when he used to use live bait. Should click against your weight and give it a little sound.

NOw if they had something for the wind this weekend.

·
Premium Member
40,480 Posts
I always use a red bead. I was told many years ago, that fish see the bead as an eye, don't know if that's true or not, you do get a little click if using a poping cork so I have stuck with it. I buy them in big bags in the craft dept of stores (walmart sells them for about $2.00 for 100 beads), it beats the price of the ones in the fishing dept and to me they seem like the same beads, just be sure to get the larger beads, I never did any good with the smaller ones and they don't slide very well.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Make sure you get the glass beads and not the plastic ones. They are heavier, which helps casting distance and make more noise.

·
Member and Parrothead
67 Posts
Glad to see someone did something in the bay this weekend. We were out around Buoy 53 Saturday and didn't do squat.

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Use the red Glass beads. They are heavier and louder. Some people use 4 or 5, but I've had my best luck with 1 or 2. With 2 they will click together, but the croaker should already make enough noise. I like using just one. The color red to trout looks like gills flaring as if fish are feeding. Same with the red hooks. Its not suppose to look like blood as most people think.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts