2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, after many hours of work, I managed to compile a digital elevation model (DEM) for the gulf. I trimmed it down to Tx and converted the depths to feet from meters. I used thousands of raw data points and modeled the image myself. The Nation Geophisical Data Center said they were working on filling gaps in the super deep water regions and that they now have nearly total coverage. The 7,000+ ft is interpolated, but I think I did a good job.

I can place a gps point anywhere and give a pretty accurate depth if any one is interested. I can also now draw contour lines at any interval (within reason) for maps or view in 3D. This will make the "how deep is..." question a snap.

Considering most of us fish the green or light blue area, its amazing how little of the water we use.

If someone would like their GPS points put on a map, I can print up to 3ftx6ft on photo paper suitable for framing (I will not share your points with anyone). Just cover the printing costs.

Attachments

·
If your gonna be dumb you gotta be tough
1,246 Posts
Hi shawn, what are the names of the floater that are furthest out? I have boomvang and nancen. If you know the names and coordinates will you post them?

Thanks, Bobby

·
AKA Offshore Aggie
1,522 Posts
Looks like I need some major help. This is what I've been able to come up with and make myself using free online programs. I have gone through a lot of map programs getting one that I can finally get some results from. You have done some awesome stuff. When do the tutorials begin???

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I haven't gone through all my point data for the rigs to be sure what is still there or has moved. I have Boomvang/Nansen and Hoover/Diana stuff, but I don't know if there are any others out there. The "way out" floater was in my old data was from Wahoo Bob and don't know anything about it. Maybe someone else does.

OffshoreAggie, its pretty simple now that I have created the data. I'd be glad to get together with you (or anyone) to show you how to use it (for those with software).

By the way, here is the best data I could do for Angola. It goes to about 700 mi offshore. Its not as detailed, but not bad otherwise. Its pretty quick after getting the proceedure figured out.

Attachments

·
Duck removal service
1,037 Posts
Nicely done!

Blown away by those images. The way technology is improving you'll be able to paint the tuna on those images before long. You've already got a full green line but I'm sending you one anyway. Thanks for sharing the time and effort.

·
Registered
328 Posts
wow, your maps shows more significant drops in the canyon area of SPI, from can these drops be zoomed in enough to get lat. and long. thanks again for sharing

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All the data is already in Lat/Lon WGS84 which is what your gps is in (unless you changed it). So yes, I can get coordinates for anything on the map instantly.

·
Registered
328 Posts
thanks, any other major drop off besides the canyon area (which is on every map), helps, you can run into each other down here if you are not carefull especially during tift,

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got through giving Wacker some gps points to try on his search for swords tomorrow...

Its easy to extract points with good drops as I can get depths at any point, then the coords for that point. Going East, if you want to review the area I can give you some good drops if you tell me where.

I'm using a variety of programs totaling about $15,000 worth of software, but the end product is being used in Mapinfo and Vertical Mapper. I used ERMapper for some modeling early on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PM sent to Marlin1989.

If I re-model the data for nearshore stuff, I get better resolution for rocks, and anomalies without the resolution of the deepwater masking things.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts