2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Golla's out of Aransas Pass know how to enjoy Padre Island Nat'l Seashore as a whole family activity and always seem to post up some epic reports. Here's a link to their lastest report and a pisture of son Chris Golla's new flyfishing state record Spanish Mac.

Report from Tyler Thorsen's board @ <www. corpusfishing.com>

Report from Charlie Golla
http://www.corpusfishing.com/
The deer were up and feeding as we entered the park at 11:00 AM Saturday. It's always a good sign that the fish are also feeding when the deer & cattle are up and feeding.

We found good water conditions all the way dwon to the 30s where it got muddy. Weed was off and on to the high banks and really bad from the 25m to the 40s. Using mostly fly-rods we picked up a few trout & skip-jacks through the high banks.

Sunday morning greeted us with a high tide and more excellent water conditions in the deep 50s. cathy got off to a good start when she found another indian Arrowhead in the surf zone about 100 yards from camp. Note: we left it where we found it as park law dictates.

Around mid-day we started catching a few Spanish Macs in the wade gut. Birds were marking the more productive locations and we were finding small concentrations of anchovies under the birds.

And then it happens. I was the first one out at this particular location with my 10wt in hand when all of a sudden a large Jack-Crevale comes plowing through the anchovies "10 feet out". I yelled at Chris as he was heading off to another bait ball, "Jacks, Jacks". Chris makes a mad dash back to the truck where he changes out his 8wt for his 12wt and returns to the action. One well placed cast puts his mylar minnow right over the bait ball and he sees two large macs race in on his fly. The bigger one nails it and the fight is on. Shortly there after he lands the big mac and we suspect it may be a record catch at 6.6 pounds. A little further down the beach we came across Capt. Billy and he confirms the state fly-rod record Spanish Mackerel at 5.4 pounds.

Chris has just submitted the paper work to TP&W for the new "Pending" State fly-rod record Spanish Mackerel at 6.6 pound, 31-7/8 inches long W/ 13 inch girth.

Cathy was also lucky enough to find two sections of fossilized mammoth teeth in some of the shell deposits in the deep 40s

On the way out we came across two coyotoes that were feeding on the remains of a large hammerhead carcass. All in all it was another great adventure down the National Seashore.
Charlie

·
Time to make the Donuts...
3,315 Posts
Awesome catch...

FlakMan said:
The Golla's out of Aransas Pass know how to enjoy Padre Island Nat'l Seashore as a whole family activity and always seem to post up some epic reports. Here's a link to their lastest report and a pisture of son Chris Golla's new flyfishing state record Spanish Mac.

Report from Tyler Thorsen's board @ <www. corpusfishing.com>

Report from Charlie Golla

The deer were up and feeding as we entered the park at 11:00 AM Saturday. It's always a good sign that the fish are also feeding when the deer & cattle are up and feeding.

We found good water conditions all the way dwon to the 30s where it got muddy. Weed was off and on to the high banks and really bad from the 25m to the 40s. Using mostly fly-rods we picked up a few trout & skip-jacks through the high banks.

Sunday morning greeted us with a high tide and more excellent water conditions in the deep 50s. cathy got off to a good start when she found another indian Arrowhead in the surf zone about 100 yards from camp. Note: we left it where we found it as park law dictates.

Around mid-day we started catching a few Spanish Macs in the wade gut. Birds were marking the more productive locations and we were finding small concentrations of anchovies under the birds.

And then it happens. I was the first one out at this particular location with my 10wt in hand when all of a sudden a large Jack-Crevale comes plowing through the anchovies "10 feet out". I yelled at Chris as he was heading off to another bait ball, "Jacks, Jacks". Chris makes a mad dash back to the truck where he changes out his 8wt for his 12wt and returns to the action. One well placed cast puts his mylar minnow right over the bait ball and he sees two large macs race in on his fly. The bigger one nails it and the fight is on. Shortly there after he lands the big mac and we suspect it may be a record catch at 6.6 pounds. A little further down the beach we came across Capt. Billy and he confirms the state fly-rod record Spanish Mackerel at 5.4 pounds.

Chris has just submitted the paper work to TP&W for the new "Pending" State fly-rod record Spanish Mackerel at 6.6 pound, 31-7/8 inches long W/ 13 inch girth.

Cathy was also lucky enough to find two sections of fossilized mammoth teeth in some of the shell deposits in the deep 40s

On the way out we came across two coyotoes that were feeding on the remains of a large hammerhead carcass. All in all it was another great adventure down the National Seashore.
Charlie
My cousin loves to flyfish and will be excited to read this one.

·
These Cats Are Potlickers
1,261 Posts
Thanks for the report Flakman. I've never forgot about this family ever since last year when you brought their report over.

Biggie:D

·
Registered
5,007 Posts
Awesome!

I have an appt with Capt. Billy myself. Just need to get a few details out of the way first.

You're pumping me up!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts