2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

Golf Cart Tickets

4K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  Bobby 
#1 ·
For all of you folks who live in or have second homes in Galveston and like to run around your subdivisions on your golf carts, two people in Sea Isle got tickets today for not having seat belts on! One of the golf carts had two people on it and both got tickets - at $200 a pop!

Sea Isle on a weekend in the summer time may have more golf carts on the streets than cars. This must be a new strategy to balance the city's budget. Lots of revenue makin' to be done on the west end.

Tom

#5 ·
I've seen them with plates and slow moving vehicle placards just never belts. I'd fight that ticket. I got a no SB ticket a few years back in a '34 Chevy. Beat the ticket since a car that old didn't come equipt with them.

Jeff

#9 ·
I don't want to be seatbelted in a golf cart with a car heading right at me. I'd be jumping chip.. err.. cart in this instance. That is about the dumbest law enforcment move I have ever seen and would fight it. I guess they'll start ticketing motorcyclists next for no seatbelt... LOL

#10 ·
Golfcart is a motorized vehicle

According to Galveston, this year, they must be street legal like a car and have safety equipment and be registered, etc. Of course that is what we are told THIS year. They change the rules back and forth yearly on us so we stay confused and I guess can get a ticket.

Rainy

Reactions: WT427
#11 ·
I think here on Bolivar they say if you are within 2 or 3 miles of a golf course you don't have to have tags or inspection or seat belts. But don't get caught drinking a beer while driving it.

#13 ·
Bobby said:
I think here on Bolivar they say if you are within 2 or 3 miles of a golf course you don't have to have tags or inspection or seat belts. But don't get caught drinking a beer while driving it.
I thought they said that as long as you are within 2 miles of your home you didn't have to worry about being near a golf course

and no beer? whassup with that? they're trying to take away all my fun

#14 ·
Seat Belts save lives. Haven't ya'll seen the latest study commissioned by DPS on how many lives were saved when golf carts were struck by SUVs? Or how you want to be properly seat belted in case of a roll over? LMAO

#16 ·
The 2 mile thing about golf carts

has something to do with driving in or near a planned community. I belive this is stated in state law.

Rainy

#17 ·
I have some dude that runs 125mph on a crotch rocket up and down my street all day and I can't them to do a thing about it, but the first time I leave my drive way in a golf cart, ticket time! What a joke. I wish they whould be a little more productive with our tax dollars.

#18 ·
Street Legal Carts

I build custom carts & can shed some light on the basic question.

There is a Texas state law that proscribes the equipment the cart needs to be street legal. Once it has that equipment, and you apply for a Texas State License Plate, you can legally drive on any street in the State of Texas that has a speed limit of 35 MPH or less. You can cross streets that have a higher posted speed limit, but cannot drive on them.

I will post the actual law later as I am on my way out the door right now....

Supergas

#19 ·
Can I drive a Golf Cart on public Roadways?

OK, here is a partial answer.. I will post more later on this subject.,.. This if off the Texas DPS web site....Can I drive a Golf Cart on public Roadways?

The short answer is anything with a slow-moving sign can operate on an arterial street (not highway). However I would suggest extreme caution on the part of the golf cart operator. Just because you can doesn't mean that someone will not run over you.

Closed communities can prohibit such activity within their convenants.

The Transportation Code:

§ 502.001. Definitions
In this chapter:
(7) "Golf cart" means a motor vehicle designed by the manufacturer primarily for transporting persons on a golf course.
(17) "Passenger car" means a motor vehicle, other than a motorcycle, golf cart, light truck, or bus, designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons.

§ 502.284. Golf Carts
(a) An owner of a golf cart is not required to register the golf cart if:
(1) the operation of the golf cart occurs in the daytime, as defined by Section 541.401; and
(2) the operation:
(A) does not exceed a distance of two miles from the point of origin to the destination if driven to and from a golf course;
(B) occurs entirely within a master planned community with a uniform set of restrictive covenants that has had a plat approved by a county or a municipality; or
(C) occurs on a public or private beach.
(b) If an owner of a golf cart resides on real property that is owned or under the control of the United States Corps of Engineers and is required by that agency to register the owner's golf cart under this chapter, the fee for registering the golf cart is $10. This subsection applies only to an owner of a golf cart who resides in a county that borders another state and has a population of more than 110,000 but less than 111,000.
(c) Subsection (b) does not authorize the operation of a golf cart on a public road where otherwise prohibited by law.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 896, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1997; Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 1128, § 1, eff. June 19, 1997.
Amended by Acts 1999, 76th Leg., ch. 780, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1999; Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 669, § 142, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

§ 547.002. Applicability
Unless a provision is specifically made applicable, this chapter and the rules of the department adopted under this chapter do not apply to:
(1) an implement of husbandry;
(2) road machinery;
(3) a road roller;
(4) a farm tractor;
(5) a bicycle, a bicyclist, or bicycle equipment;
(6) an electric bicycle, an electric bicyclist, or electric bicycle equipment; or
(7) a golf cart not required to be registered under Section 502.284.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 896, § 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1997.
Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1085, § 8, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.

§ 547.703. Additional Equipment Requirements for Slow-Moving Vehicles
(a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a slow-moving vehicle shall display a slow-moving-vehicle emblem that:
(1) has a reflective surface designed to be clearly visible in daylight or at night from the light of standard automobile headlamps at a distance of at least 500 feet;
(2) is mounted base down on the rear of the vehicle at a height from three to five feet above the road surface; and
(3) is maintained in a clean, reflective condition.
(b) Subsection (a) does not apply to a vehicle that is used in construction or maintenance work and is traveling in a construction area that is marked as required by the Texas Transportation Commission.
(c) If a motor vehicle displaying a slow-moving-vehicle emblem tows machinery, including an implement of husbandry, and the visibility of the emblem is not obstructed, the towed unit is not required to display a slow-moving-vehicle emblem.
(d) A golf cart as defined by Section 502.001 is required to display a slow-moving-vehicle emblem only when it is operated on an arterial street.
(e) In this section, "arterial street" means:
(1) a roadway assigned a number by this state or the United States;
(2) a controlled-access highway; or
(3) a major radial or circumferential street or highway that is in the territory of a local authority and designated by the authority as part of a major arterial system of streets or highways.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

548.052. Vehicles Not Subject to Inspection
This chapter does not apply to:
(1) a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home moving under or bearing a current factory-delivery license plate or current in-transit license plate;
(2) a vehicle moving under or bearing a paper dealer in-transit tag, machinery license, disaster license, parade license, prorate tab, one-trip permit, antique license, temporary 24-hour permit, or permit license;
(3) a trailer, semitrailer, pole trailer, or mobile home having an actual gross weight or registered gross weight of 4,500 pounds or less;
(4) farm machinery, road-building equipment, a farm trailer, or a vehicle required to display a slow-moving-vehicle emblem under Section 547.703;
(5) a former military vehicle, as defined by Section 502.275;
(6) a vehicle qualified for a tax exemption under Section 152.092, Tax Code; or
(7) a vehicle for which a certificate of title has been issued but that is not required to be registered.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 1997, 75th Leg., ch. 165, § 30.121(a), eff. Sept. 1, 1997.

#20 ·
More Legal stuff on Same Subject

Neighborhood Electric Vehicle and Motor Assisted Scooter Information

The 78th Legislature addressed the issue of new transportation technology. The law now recognizes motor assisted scooters and neighborhood electric vehicles for limited street usage. The law can be found in the Texas Transportation Code (TRC) as Subchapter D, Sections 551.301 and 551.302. Subchapter D became effective on September 1, 2003.

The 79th Legislature amended the law to separate neighborhood electric vehicles from motor assisted scooters. Section 551.302 was repealed and the content became Subchapter E, Motor Assisted Scooter, TRC 551.351. The information below is still an accurate summary of the laws as amended.

In general, any traffic law which applies to bicycles also applies to motor assisted scooters. That means the operator must obey the usual traffic laws that bicycle operators must obey such as speed limit, signal turns, etc. (TRC 551.101(a)). However, TRC 551.351 states that some laws that apply to a motor vehicle do not apply to these scooters. This means that:

Ø the scooter operator doesn't need a driver license,

Ø the scooter operator doesn't need liability insurance,

Ø the scooter doesn't have to be registered or have a license plate,

Ø the scooter doesn't have to carry a low speed vehicle emblem; and,

Ø the scooter doesn't have to be inspected.

Cities and counties may prohibit operation of these scooters on particular streets or highways for safety reasons, as can the Texas Department of Transportation (TXDOT).

Along with the "motor assisted scooter," the Legislature legalized the "neighborhood electric vehicle." The "neighborhood electric vehicle" is any vehicle subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 500. They generally resemble a golf cart, but are larger-usually capable of carrying four passengers-with a top speed between 20 M.P.H. and 25 M.P.H. Vehicles such as the John Deere Gator and Kawasaki Mule are not neighborhood electric vehicles because they are not subject to Federal Standard 500 in that they are designed to primarily carry cargo rather than passengers. Like the motor assisted scooter, neighborhood electric vehicles can be driven on any street or highway with a posted speed limit of 35 M.P.H. or less, and may cross streets or highways with a higher posted speed limit. However, unlike the motor assisted scooter, a neighborhood electric vehicle must be registered and have a license plate. The operator must have a driver license and the vehicle or operator must be covered with the required liability insurance or acceptable substitute. In addition, these vehicles meet the TRC Section 547.001 definition of a "slow moving vehicle," and must carry a low speed vehicle emblem. Finally, as with the motor assisted scooter, a city or county may prohibit their operation on a street or highway for safety reasons, as can TXDOT.

The content of HB 1596 is on subsequent pages of this document. It shows the division of the two types of vehicles and their codification.

H.B. No. 1596
AN ACT​
relating to the regulation of motor-assisted scooters. BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF TEXAS: SECTION 1. The heading to Subchapter D, Chapter 551, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows: SUBCHAPTER D. NEIGHBORHOOD ELECTRIC VEHICLES [AND MOTOR-ASSISTED SCOOTERS] SECTION 2. Section 551.301, Transportation Code, is amended to read as follows: Sec. 551.301. DEFINITION [DEFINITIONS]. In this subchapter,[: [(1)] "neighborhood [Neighborhood] electric vehicle" means a vehicle subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 500 (49 C.F.R. Section 571.500). [(2) "Motor assisted scooter" means a self-propelled device with: [(A) at least two wheels in contact with the ground during operation; [(B) a braking system capable of stopping the device under typical operating conditions; [(C) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters; [(D) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device; and [(E) the ability to be propelled by human power alone.] SECTION 3. Chapter 551, Transportation Code, is amended by adding Subchapter E to read as follows: SUBCHAPTER E. MOTOR-ASSISTED SCOOTERS Sec. 551.351. DEFINITION. In this subchapter, "motor-assisted scooter" means a self-propelled device with: (1) at least two wheels in contact with the ground during operation; (2) a braking system capable of stopping the device under typical operating conditions; (3) a gas or electric motor not exceeding 40 cubic centimeters; (4) a deck designed to allow a person to stand or sit while operating the device; and (5) the ability to be propelled by human power alone. Sec. 551.352. OPERATION ON ROADWAYS OR SIDEWALKS. (a) A motor-assisted scooter may be operated only on a street or highway for which the posted speed limit is 35 miles per hour or less. The motor-assisted scooter may cross a road or street at an intersection where the road or street has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour. (b) A county or municipality may prohibit the operation of a motor-assisted scooter on a street, highway, or sidewalk if the governing body of the county or municipality determines that the prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety. (c) The department may prohibit the operation of a motor-assisted scooter on a highway if it determines that the prohibition is necessary in the interest of safety. (d) A person may operate a motor-assisted scooter on a path set aside for the exclusive operation of bicycles or on a sidewalk. Except as otherwise provided by this section, a provision of this title applicable to the operation of a bicycle applies to the operation of a motor-assisted scooter. (e) A provision of this title applicable to a motor vehicle does not apply to a motor-assisted scooter. SECTION 4. Section 551.302, Transportation Code, as added by Chapter 1325, Acts of the 78th Legislature, Regular Session, 2003, is repealed. SECTION 5. This Act takes effect immediately if it receives a vote of two-thirds of all the members elected to each house, as provided by Section 39, Article III, Texas Constitution. If this Act does not receive the vote necessary for immediate effect, this Act takes effect September 1, 2005.

#21 ·
Galveston Yankee said:
For all of you folks who live in or have second homes in Galveston and like to run around your subdivisions on your golf carts, two people in Sea Isle got tickets today for not having seat belts on! One of the golf carts had two people on it and both got tickets - at $200 a pop!

Sea Isle on a weekend in the summer time may have more golf carts on the streets than cars. This must be a new strategy to balance the city's budget. Lots of revenue makin' to be done on the west end.

Tom
Tom -

Who wrote the tickets? Was it teenagers driving the cart recklessly? I can't imagine anything as so absurd. And yes click it or ticket is the biggest money grab in this country.

#23 ·
Jamaica Beach has an ordinance concerning golf carts that lays out what you need in terms of equipment. Safety belts are not required. It does have to be titled, licensed, and insured (liability). You also have to have a slow moving vehicle emblem.

For driving at night, you are required to have headlights, and tail lights. It also has to be operated by a licensed driver.

There is a new ordinance that has been proposed, but not passed, that will further require brake lights and turn signal indicators for night driving.

#25 ·
I'm glad to hear that the tickets will be dropped. The folks who got the tickets are in their 40's and older.

I figured it was just a precurser to the police starting to give tickets to golf carts that driven on the sections be beach closed to motor vehicles. That will be coming.

Galveston has pretty much the same requirements as Jamaica Beach. I've seen kids pulled over by the police and be made to take the carts home. I don't have a problem with that as I've had kids do some pretty stupid stuff right in front of a 5,000 pound truck.

Tom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.