2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband is on the newly formed Ad Hoc Committee that is meeting to try to put together an ordinance for golf cart usage on Galveston Island. As many of you know, golf carts are a major means of transportation here on the West End and the police chief has stated that he would like to see golf carts removed from all streets on the island. This all started on September 17 when many of the residents on the West End went to the City Council meeting to request that the issue of golf carts on the beach be considered. Now all of the focus is on the issue of golf carts on the streets. If at all possible, please try to attend the West Galveston Island Property Island Association meeting tomorrow morning at the Galveston Country Club. The meeting starts at 9 AM, but the golf cart issue is the last agenda item. Getting there around 10:30 should not be a problem. The Ike Dike is also scheduled to be discussed, so come early for that if you are interested. We need as many people in support of golf carts there to show City Council and the police chief that we do not want nor do we need any more golf cart restrictions. We have a questionnaire to fill out if you cannot make the meeting. PM me if you would like me to e mail you a copy.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The law is very clear that if carts are allowed to drive on the beach, then cars and trucks must be allowed.
Actually, most of us do not have a problem with that!! The Texas Open Beaches Act that was drafted in 1959 states that vehicles are allowed on the beach. (I know you know that!!) We consider this a baby step on the way to opening the beach as it should be to everyone.

·
Bull Frog hunter
9,276 Posts
Actually, most of us do not have a problem with that!! The Texas Open Beaches Act that was drafted in 1959 states that vehicles are allowed on the beach. (I know you know that!!) We consider this a baby step on the way to opening the beach as it should be to everyone.
I would like to see more access by truck/car, but with that comes more trash! EVERY time I go to the beach side, I see trash everywhere! Sometimes not more than 20 feet from a trash can just left on the sand. THAT is why they or some are against it. A few disrespectful people, throw there stuff on the ground and its over for all. I understand. As for golf carts on the street, doesn't bother me one bit so long as they are operated safe!

24Buds

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Sorry Willa

http://www.txdmv.gov/index.htm
Texas Department of Motor Vehicles

ATVs and Golf Carts

Low-Speed Vehicles (LSVs), also known as Neighborhood Electric Vehicles (NEVs), and golf carts are regulated by state and federal laws. Registered, titled and insured NEVs may be legally driven at a maximum speed of 35 mph on public roads with a posted speed limit of 45 mph or less, unless a city or county ordinance prohibits their operation.
Effective September 1, 2009, golf carts can no longer be titled or registered. Registrations issued to golf carts prior to September 1, 2009, will remain valid until expiration but will not be renewed at expiration. Titles issued prior to September 1, 2009, will not be required to be returned to the department. The one exception to this rule is Grayson County where citizens can purchase "golf cart" license plates.
For Driver License requirements to operate any of these vehicles, contact your local law enforcement agency.

What are the rules regarding Low-Speed and Neighborhood Electric Vehicles? A vehicle is classified as an LSV or NEV if it has:
  • a normal maximum speed of 20-25 mph (LSV) or 20-35 mph (NEV),
  • seat belts,
  • head and tail lights,
  • a windshield,
  • a parking brake,
  • turn signals,
  • rear-view mirrors
  • brake lights,
  • reflectors, and
  • a valid 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)
To title and register your LSV or NEV, take the following to your county tax office:
  • evidence of ownership, such as a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin or title,
  • a completed Form VTR 130-U, and
  • proof of insurance.
What are the rules regarding golf carts? A vehicle is classified as a golf cart if it:

• has no less than three wheels,
  • has a normal maximum speed of between 15-25 mph, and
  • is manufactured primarily for operation on golf courses.
TxDOT does not register or title golf carts.

Registration is not needed to operate your golf cart on a public road. State law allows for use of golf carts with a slow-moving vehicle emblem in the following situations:
  • in master planned communities with a uniform set of restrictive covenants in place,
  • on public or private beaches,
  • during the daytime and no more than two miles from where the owner usually parks the golf cart and for transportation to or from a golf course, or
  • to cross intersections, including a road or street that has a posted speed limit of more than 35 miles per hour.
A city can pass a local ordinance allowing for use of golf carts on additional roads. The road must be within the boundaries of the city and with a speed limit of 35 mph or lower.

In these cases, the golf cart must be insured and have the following minimum equipment:
  • headlamps,
  • tail lamps,
  • reflectors,
  • parking brake,
  • mirrors, and
  • a slow-moving vehicle emblem.
The state, a county, or a city may prohibit golf cart operation on all or part of a public road in the interest of safety.

Note: An exception for Grayson County allows for the issuance of Golf Cart License Plates. Grayson County golf cart owners must take the following to their county tax office to purchase golf cart license plates:
  • Evidence of ownership, such as a Manufacturer Certificate of Origin (MCO), title, bill of sale or invoice.
  • If your golf cart does not have a valid VIN, one may be assigned from the Dallas regional VTR office.
  • Completed Form VTR 130-U.
What are the rules regarding All-Terrain Vehicles?

All-Terrain Vehicles (ATVs) are regulated by state and federal laws. A vehicle is classified as an ATV if it:
  • has a saddle seat,
  • has three or more wheels,
  • is designed for off-highway use, and
  • is not designed by the manufacturer for farm or lawn care.
ATVs may not be driven on public roads unless the driver is:
  • a farmer or a rancher traveling no more than 25 miles,
  • a public utility worker, or
  • a law enforcement officer.
ATVs driven on a public road must have a triangular orange flag on top of an eight-foot pole attached to the back of it.

To be operated on public property, ATVs must have:
  • a brake system,
  • a muffler system,
  • a United States Forest Service qualified spark arrester,
  • head and tail light, and
  • an Off Highway Vehicle decal issued by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
For further details on ATV operation on public land in Texas, visit the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Off Highway Vehicle Program or call (512) 389-8917.

What are the rules regarding Utility Type Vehicles or Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles? Effective September 1, 2009, utility-type vehicles (UTVs) are defined as Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROVs), which are generally used for maintenance, hunting or recreation. They are required to be titled but may not be driven on public roads. A ROV is a motor vehicle that is equipped with:

• a non-straddle seat for the use of the rider (and passenger),
  • is designed to propel itself with four or more tires in contact with the ground,
  • is designed by the manufacturer for off-highway use and
  • is not designed by the manufacturer for farm or lawn care.
ROVs may not be driven on public roads unless the:
  • vehicle is owned by a state, county or municipality and operated on a public beach or highway to maintain public safety and welfare,
  • driver is a farmer or a rancher traveling no more than 25 miles,
  • driver is a public utility worker, or
  • driver is a law enforcement officer.
To be operated on public property, ROVs must have:
  • a brake system,
  • a muffler system,
  • a United States Forest Service qualified spark arrester,
  • head and tail light, and
  • an Off Highway Vehicle decal issued by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.
For further details on ATV operation on public land in Texas, visit the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department Off Highway Vehicle Program or call (512) 389-8917.

You folks may be in shock due to the new State of Texas regs regarding golf carts... Mules, Gators etc have never been allowed to be licensed.
This new rule has had a serious impact on my golf cart business..
However, the new NEV/LSV rules with IRS tax credit will be good for those who qualify...

Supergas

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,218 Posts
if you drive your gulfcart on the beach, i will drive my truck there to. you need to inspect,plate. reg and insure your gulfcart just like my truck. its not fair to let you and not me. 2 ways about it, let anything drive on the beach or nothing. i dont care which way they go at it right now.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you can't drive on the beach to enjoy it and fish, it's private.
That is exactly correct!! I do understand the issue of cars being able to drive on the beach. Until the beach front property owners stop thinking of the beach as their private front yards and we all unite on this and fight a good fight, we all lose! We need voices at the meeting. I don't care if you come with the voice that says you want your car on the beach....just come!!!! Help to open your beaches!!!!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Willa, great to hear from you. Hope you and all the Terramartians are doing well.

Unfortunately baby steps don't work with the COG. As you can see, it's all or nothing for them.

Work on getting the public beaches open again to vehicles and you can opt to drive your car, truck or golf cart directly to the water's edge.

Just raising the subject of driving golf carts on the beach (from beachfront and bayside homeowners) further drives the point that beach access is a major issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
personally, i think it all comes down to big brother wanting to control you. as long as we allow it, they'll do it.
Bruce,

I might take some heat for this :fish:, but reading your comments on this site has "caused" me to think you are a good voice of reason. I almost always agree with what you have to say. We need more voices to get this done. We need more people who are passionate about taking our beaches back. Believe me, the beach front property owners are very passionate about keeping the beach private in their "front yards"!!!! And who do you think makes up the majority board positions on WGIPOA? That's right, beach front property owners!!!

·
RIDE RED,HONDA!
10,218 Posts
Bruce,

I might take some heat for this :fish:, but reading your comments on this site has "caused" me to think you are a good voice of reason. I almost always agree with what you have to say. We need more voices to get this done. We need more people who are passionate about taking our beaches back. Believe me, the beach front property owners are very passionate about keeping the beach private in their "front yards"!!!! And who do you think makes up the majority board positions on WGIPOA? That's right, beach front property owners!!!
willa,your right in that its the property owners. but right now theres no beach to be able to drive on really at a high tide.sad part is that WE will never see the beaches open to drive on like it use to be. what we need to do is try like hell to save what beach we have now. do you really think they would knock down all the large condos on the westend to let US drive on the beach?

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I grew up running and fishing the beach front in the 60's and 70's and it is really sad our children are not afforded the same opportunity today. It is just a matter of time and those beaches on the west end will be wiped clean by mother nature.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts