2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to Ft Myer's Florida in a couple of weeks. Staying at a Best Western right on the Chatta-something-or-other river. Want to fish in the evenings after work from their pier.

Any experience in that area out there?

Cost of a 3 or 4 day non-resident fishing license?

What kind of artificial bait to use? ( I was thinking about taking some DOA Shrimp along)

Any other ideas or input will be welcome.

Thanks,
P

·
senor member
6,148 Posts
You will be in good fishing territory. I don't know that pier but the Caloosahatchie river has snook, tarpon, redfish, flounder, and lots of other stuff. DOA shrimp work allright, so do lots of arties and live shrimp is easily available. Before you go locate and buy somr Storm Wildeye swimming shad. 4" Firetiger. I caught lots of snook on those iin Ft. Myers last year. Better yet, if you have the time and wheels, cross over to Sanibel Island. Great fishing all along the causeway, deep water, heavy tides. Also there is a rock jetty seperating Sanibel and Captiva Islands that can really be good. You can get ling, spanish mackeral, giant rays, man I want to go back.

·
"Wizards begin as blacksmiths"
6,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I'll be carrying an ultra light Daiwa packable rod and reel. Bought it nearly 30 years ago at the Ramble House in Creede Colorado for trout fishing (rainbow's and brown's) in the mountains. I've seen Tarpon along the Florida Keys... I'd sure hate to destroy that old Daiwa but that may be kind of fun! Better bring some extra 6# line, gonna get spooled for sure if one of those monsters grabs a hold of me.

Won't have any wheels and will be only catch and release for this trip, but the evenings after work leave few choices... sit in the hotel room and watch TV or go to the pier and do some chunkin' and windin'... hmmmm think I'll go to the water.

·
senor member
6,148 Posts
Something else, most of the time when you are fishing off a hotels pier, and are a guest, then a license is not required.

·
good looking single member
6,603 Posts
If you fish the ocean side expect bluefish, jacks, maks, and cobia. You'll need a bigger rod. I use to fish the pier in Faggarts all the time.

·
Registered
764 Posts
My family had a house in Ft. Myers Beach growing up and I used to fish there all the time. The pier off the beach is decent fishing, but not great. You will get an ocassional snook, but you'll find you are loads of catfish, and a small shark here and there.

Some of the best fishing snook fishing in my life was at the small bridge near the end of captiva and sanibel. You have to pay a toll to cross the big causeway over, but the snook fishing in that cut is as good as anywhere. The bridge on the south side of Ft. Myers beach also has some darn good fishing too. I can't remember the name, but there is a big and small pass named Big something and small something. the small one has some good snook fishing too. If you have the time, I would say head over to captiva and you will have a great time.

It has been a few years, but we would fish topwater lures like the rattletrap (sp?) lures, and some large shrimp. If you are really lucky, you can catch some fresh ladyfish there and if you do, chunk one of those out there and hang on for the ride of your life.

·
senor member
6,148 Posts
bad news fish"nchipper, they built a rock jetty right there by the bridge and the eddy has closed the cut off with sand. Water no longer flows under that bridge. But I have good news! I just saved a bunch of money on my insu.... I mean the snook just moved to the jetty.

·
Wood Duck Eradicator
459 Posts
I've been there a few times. Go accross the causeway like your going to Sanibel but stop on one of the islands. Get a cast net and catch some pinfish in the seagrass there and wade out and fish them under a popping cork. You can catch trout and spanish mackerel. Once i caught a little jewfish on a popping cork out there. Also there are mangrove snapper next to the bridges. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts