2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.........................................well as alot of you know Ill be down for alot of July and had a couple ?'s for yall. I havent done much artificial lure fiahing inshore,so heres the ?'s for ya. I have no idea as to what baits are good for flounder,reds,and specks.I have always, well for the most part bought live bait but started using DOA's last year and loved it.There is such a selection of stuff I had no idea what to buy at Academy the other day. Could yall help me in some basic all round baits.Ihave some DOA's and Top dogs that Ive used in the surf for Skips and Cravelle but need more. I hope I have explained myself well and clearly.Thanks for any info...............................later,Dave

·
Banned
1,140 Posts
best spoon you can get is at Roy's Bait & Tackle in Corpus Christi.... sugar boat... be sure to get a few differnt versions and a few spares... reds tare 'em up.... the last time I was around there a black red sparkle chartruese tail cork-e (regualr modle not Big Boy) did the trick......JJ

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
a couple of my standard always have in the box baits:

limetreuse assassins
pumkin seed/chart assassins
red/white anything
i like to keep some pearl/chartreuse shads handy in case the flounder are biting.

i have found that when first using plastics, shad bodies(ie:shad assassins) produce more strikes. the wagging tail creates its own action and almost all you have to do is reel. assassins require a bit more finesse, but once you have the right action(changes daily or even hourly sometimes) assassins are my goto plastic. i throw 1/8 oz heads 95% of the time. i keep a couple 1/6 oz head handy for fishing shallow grass or shell conditions. every trip starts with topwaters(my two favorites right now are chartreuse/gold with a red head top dog and chrome/blue she dog) then plastics and a weedless gold spoon(sprite).

my big box has just about every other color and style of bait imaginable, but more often than not my wade box contains the lures described above with one or two others added.

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys I I really appreciate all this good info...............................later,Dave

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Boat Money what kinda retrive do you use on those Top dogs and She Dogs?.............later,Dave

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'll be there Fri.-Sun.

Going to fish around the N. Jetty. I have a bud that lives in town and he said you can see numerous tarpon around the end of the rocks.

·
Registered
10,847 Posts
I usually use a constant fast retrieve and walk, which usually gets the job done 90% of the time. I've also used every kind of other retrieve imaginable. I've cast and had fish explode on impact. I've had fish hit a floating topwater while I was on the radio or otherwise occupied. I may do a sweep, twich, twich, sweep(really slow) or a constant slow walk with pauses.
Even at my regular cadence there are pauses but they aren't perceptible to most.
Also, most the time I hold the rod tip high and reel, letting the weight of the lure cause the walking action.

See the wounded mullet.....Be the mullet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts