2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
http://talesofhumor.blogspot.com/
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all...

I was just sitting here at my desk daydreaming about monster catfish when I decided to post up and see what y'all use for the big uns'... live perch? tilapis? cut bait? What size?

One more reason I'm asking is that I'm going to be hunting big catfish this winter out here in west Texas. I have some jug lines and I'll be setting a trotline as well, probably baited with Catfish Charlie.. So any other tips y'all have would be greatly appreciated..

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
What kind of fish are you tagerting? Depth of water and what is the natural bait in that water. If there is and abundance of shad i would be willing to bet that is their main diet. Big gizzard shad cut in half with catch any blue cat that can fit it in their mouth. If targeting op's then go with hand sized live perch. If it wasn't illegal I would say use 8"-10" live channel cat with fins cut off. Thats illegal though don't do it. Goo, buffalo, and carp work great for cut bait, also.

·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you anchor the jug lines or leave them floating around somewhat freely?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Do you anchor the jug lines or leave them floating around somewhat freely?
You can do either or. We put about a 2# weight on ours and leave them and go fishing for bass or crappie. We check them at noon and go back and check in the evening or you could leave them out overnight with fresh bait. Keep in mind that a big fish will move your weight so you may have to look around for it. For instance we had a 15# blue move 1 with a 2# weight 300 yards last weekend. If you free float them you need to stay in the area or be prepaired to really have to hunt them down with possibly even loosing some. Thats just how we do it, I'm sure there are others with good ideas.

·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can do either or. We put about a 2# weight on ours and leave them and go fishing for bass or crappie. We check them at noon and go back and check in the evening or you could leave them out overnight with fresh bait. Keep in mind that a big fish will move your weight so you may have to look around for it. For instance we had a 15# blue move 1 with a 2# weight 300 yards last weekend. If you free float them you need to stay in the area or be prepaired to really have to hunt them down with possibly even loosing some. Thats just how we do it, I'm sure there are others with good ideas.
Thanks.. What I'm looking at doing Monday (I am off Mondays and Tuesdays) is going to O.C. Fisher here at the state park and putting a trot line and jug lines at the mouth of the Concho.. Lots of big cats there and I am trying to decide if I want to put them out to free float or put a weight on them to anchor them. I've never jug lined before and all the tips really help.... I'll be sure to post pictures..

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Free flotaing you need to string them out and drift with them and fish while they are out. If anchored then you can keave them and come back later. We use flagging jugs but any jug will work just make sure white with proper tag info.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Thanks.. What I'm looking at doing Monday (I am off Mondays and Tuesdays) is going to O.C. Fisher here at the state park and putting a trot line and jug lines at the mouth of the Concho.. Lots of big cats there and I am trying to decide if I want to put them out to free float or put a weight on them to anchor them. I've never jug lined before and all the tips really help.... I'll be sure to post pictures..
I use a the heavy nylon cord you can buy at academy. I go about 3' up and double it and tie an overhand knot leaving a small loop and do the same thing another 2' up from that. When you make your loop put a heavy duty swivel in there. You will have to run the swivel on the line while doing all this.Then I use the smaller nylon cord for the drops about 16" tying directly to the hooks.
I would weight them down, but by doing that you need to decide how deep your going to fish or just let it float till it hits bottom. Or you could shortin your line going to your 1 gallon jug or If you tied a really good knot I guess add line. I'm no expert at this but I don't think there is a real science to it. Like all fishing it's finding the fish that makes the differance. Also I would use the orange tide jugs so you can see them better.

·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have tied on the heavy duty swivels. I grew up trotlining on Sam Rayburn with my grandfather so I have a bit of knowledge, just not as much as I'd like, LOL..

I have all the jugs labeled with my name, addy, etc..

On the gallon jugs, I own a kayak shop and I have a ton of foam in the cans so I filled the jugs with the foam to ensure they wouldn't sink.

I tied them all off with fishermans knots.

My biggest decision was on the bait... I have a trotline I'm going to use Catfish Charlie and treble hooks on. But on the jug lines, I wanted to go for the big cats so I put on the heavy duty swivels but didn't know if I should anchor them. Being as it is a Monday, there will most likely be no other boaters out there (I'm setting lines in a kayak but have a do-net) and can run the lines as I see..

I really appreciate all of the input and keep it coming... I have a ton of 6 oz and 8 oz spider weights I used for the surf to help and kind of anchor the jug lines.

·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also, do y'all use limb lines? I have the river coming into the lake with a ton of overhanging branches and can use a limb line...

·
Registered
304 Posts
If your wanting to catch big opps use bream, big blues use BIG cut shad or cut bream, or you could put one of each on each line. But I would use more than spider weights, a brick a chunk of iron or something. I don't do any river fishing but I have a good friend who has fished the Brazos his whole life and they find the deep holes were they can drop a limb line down but he always says it depends if the water is rising or falling as to weather it is any good or not.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I remember staying in San Angelo for the summers and fishing the Concho River, Lake Nasworthy and O.C. Fisher Lake.

Plenty of big Catfish and Bass in those waters. i remember catching perch in little runoffs during rain storms.

Ahh, the good old days.

·
4,635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'm going to go with this:

I'll bait with cut bait on some and Catfish charlie on others.

·
Can't be what you ain't.
8,451 Posts
Use the nylong trotline line. Also maximize you chances and run 5 hooks per anchored jug. If deep enough. One near the bottom and then spaced evenly up to about 5 foot from surface. Big natural baits. I would leave the catfish charlie alone unless you want small channels.

·
Buzzards gotta eat! same as worms!!!!
2,944 Posts
Shad or pearch about the size of youe hand or a little bigger if you can find them.....

Reactions: DANO

·
I see spots....
471 Posts
I use 12/0-16/0 stainless circle hooks.... It will hook small cats if they bite; As for line, I use at least 250# monofilament line, and it depends on what part of the lake/river we are fishing as to whether or not we put a fair amount of weight on (I prefer free-floaters for the river/coves), when a big fish is on, it reminds me of the Jaws movie as the jug takes off! As far as bait goes, If you are after big cats, live Gizzard Shad is the way to go. Large cut chunks work if you can't keep them alive, but live is superior whether or not it is Blues or Flatheads... Good Luck

Just my .02

Kody

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Hey there BB, next time your down this way, load up on mullet. Those big blues just love cut mullet. As they would say, mmmm....mmmm....goood!!!!!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts