2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Gone Phishing
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody taken the GMAT in the last few years? If so, what is the best advice you can give for studying for it? I already bought the 2010 Kaplan GMAT Premier book and am devising a study plan. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I took the GMAT back in March. I studied the 2009 Princeton Review. I think I started about 2 months in advance and took my time going through the chapters and what not.

Advice:
#1 Give yourself plenty of time. Some what gets covered is based on stuff you learned back in junior high/high school (algebra/geometry) so you have to go back and "re-learn" it.
#2 Study the format of the test. Just like any standardized test if you're familiar with the format then you wont waste time reading the directions/etc.
#3 Do the practice tests. mba.com has some on it and Im sure your review came with some in the book or on a cd.

If I think of anything else I'll let ya know.

·
Gone Phishing
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the GMAT back in March. I studied the 2009 Princeton Review. I think I started about 2 months in advance and took my time going through the chapters and what not.

Advice:
#1 Give yourself plenty of time. Some what gets covered is based on stuff you learned back in junior high/high school (algebra/geometry) so you have to go back and "re-learn" it.
#2 Study the format of the test. Just like any standardized test if you're familiar with the format then you wont waste time reading the directions/etc.
#3 Do the practice tests. mba.com has some on it and Im sure your review came with some in the book or on a cd.

If I think of anything else I'll let ya know.
Thanks for the advice. I've taken a practice test and didn't remember how to do majority of the math section. After I saw the problems explained it all came back to me. Been a long time since I worked math problems like this. I have about 3 months to prepare so I'm confident.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
I took it a long time ago and took the prep course from Kaplan's. I think it was down off Weslayan. It was a big help

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I took it 10 yrs ago, how the heck can it be that long ago?????????? I bought one of those study guides but didn't spend much time on it. I was in my last semester of undergraduate study taking a full 18 hrs so I was very unmotivated to put any effort into studying for it. I guess I did alright but nothing steller. At that point I don't think I really cared how I did, I was just going through the motions. It's not all that difficult from what I remember, just put a few months into reviewing the study book and using the CD and I'm sure you will do fine.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I took it back in 2005, but didn't study. I do recall that the geometry part of it was the hardest for me, but I got a 645. I was out of high school 12 years and it had been almost 10 yrs since I had taken College Algebra, so that part might be easier for a traditional student.

·
Gone Phishing
6,976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BTW, where are you looking to apply for the MBA?
HBU(Houston Baptist University), University of Houston, or University of Texas-Dallas.

I contemplated Tulane(Houston Program) and University of Texas(Houston Program) but don't want to spend $75k+.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
HBU(Houston Baptist University), University of Houston, or University of Texas-Dallas.

I contemplated Tulane(Houston Program) and University of Texas(Houston Program) but don't want to spend $75k+.
I'm with ya on that one! I researched both and they were out of my price range.

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do fine on the GMAT.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I assume you got your MBA. Where did you get if from?...if you don't mind me askin
I got mine from Western Governor's University in Utah. Galveston College proctored my exams for me.

I started at SFA in their MPA program right after I finished my BBA. I took a job as Controller down here in Galveston after my first semester, though. Decided MBA was the way to go since I have no desire to do public accounting. :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
I just graduated with my MBA in May 2008 and the GMAT wasn't hard at all. I felt like it was easier than the SAT. Just look over the practice questions they give you when you register for the exam and you should be fine. I made a 710 and was out of there in an hour and a half. You don't have anything to worry about it should be a piece of cake. I think the hardest thing was the answers. The format the answers are in for the math and reading questions are weird so you need to be familiar with them. Other than that it is pretty easy.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
I took it back in 2005, but didn't study. I do recall that the geometry part of it was the hardest for me, but I got a 645. I was out of high school 12 years and it had been almost 10 yrs since I had taken College Algebra, so that part might be easier for a traditional student.
645???....WHAT A WASTE!!!

I needed a 500 for admission so I went all out and scored a 502. I only wasted 2 points!!! :slimer:

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
I just graduated with my MBA in May 2008 and the GMAT wasn't hard at all. I felt like it was easier than the SAT. Just look over the practice questions they give you when you register for the exam and you should be fine. I made a 710 and was out of there in an hour and a half. You don't have anything to worry about it should be a piece of cake. I think the hardest thing was the answers. The format the answers are in for the math and reading questions are weird so you need to be familiar with them. Other than that it is pretty easy.
702? Your first post? Sure you did. :work:

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Yeah, don't spend $75k on an MBA, you'll probably end up regretting it. Go to U of H or any other decently sized school and you'll be fine. What was your undergrad degree in and what are you looking to get into? Any prior work experience? Good luck with it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Took it this past summer with no preparation whatsoever. I felt like my brain was going to explode after the quantitative section and thought that I was strong in math. I did well on the verbal and writing sections. I'd be curious to see how I would perform after some preparation such as a class like Kaplan or something. Good luck.

·
Professional Salesman
9,758 Posts
200 x GPA + GMAT > 950

You (200 x 4.0) + 645 > 950...carry the naught?????......

= 800 + 645 = 1445 IS WAY > 905, now you wasted 550 points...you overacheiver :spineyes:

Me (200 x 3.35 (I cheated)) + 502 > 950...

= 670 + 502 = 1172 - 950 = 1,113,400...man, I way overachieved!!! :cop:

"Huh?...What...I was supposed to subtract and not multiply??? I don't get it...NO, I AM NOT TALKING TO MYSELF!!!"

1 - 20 of 37 Posts