2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
They take a lickin but keep on tickin. A year ago today my truck took a swim in the 3 mile cut and it still going. There was many comments that it would be rusted out in 6 months. I have not had no probs with it except shift sensor's in the Tranny and now I am having the push button sensor probs which is a common thing with GM's. It has over 140,000 miles on it. I have not had a single water or rust problem with the truck. It might had to do with me going to Ziebart 2 weeks after and having all the fluids change but that is all apart of maintenance. Thanks goes out to Wilbo and Co. for the guide threw.

·
Unruly Member
2,620 Posts
Yankee,

If I remember correctly, there was video tape someone posted. Made me laugh like crazy. Just out of curiosity ... what year make and model are you driving?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is a tape of someone crossing threw the cut on matagordabay.com but that was not me. The truck is a 99 GMC ext cab.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
"Rocks" don't float & don't move

I had a 96 GMC. In 60K miles it needed: (1) master cylinder failed, (2) A/C seals failed, (3) A/C compresser failed (later after seals replaced), (4) oil leak, (5) oil leak again, (6) water pump housing defective casting (leaked), (7) some kind of gas pressure gizmo in intake system-$50 part w/$200 gasket set plus labor for total $600 bill), (8) torque converter failure @60K.

Over $3000 in repairs in 60K miles (some repairs made under 50K warranty free of charge (thankfully!).

Looked for new truck. Researched Automotive News (trade publication) and found articles where GM & FOrd still hammering parts makers for cheaper prices. They got their "cheaper prices" and I got defective parts!

Driving Toyota Tundra w/ TRD Off Road pkg now. Love it! Almost 20K now and haven't spent a dime on repairs and nothing has broke, leaked or failed.

Quality--a word Detroit can spell but doesn't know the meaning of. "Profits over quality"--Detroit's mantra..."if **** makes money, that's OK"\

·
Registered
64 Posts
99 Gmc

I also had a 99 GMC Z71. Sea-slug and myself took many trips down the beach in it and never had a problem. I pulled 7 people out of the sands of Bolivar in 1 day, 4 more another day. When I sold it with 156K miles on it, only the a/c compressor had been replaced. I got an 01 Dodge 4x4 off-road to replace it due to me not liking the new body style of the GMCs/Chevys. I now have 112K miles on the Dodge, had to replace the water pump at 80K, but other than that it has been rock solid too and has been WAY down PINS several times..

·
Registered
185 Posts
you honestly think toyota is doing any different??? toyota', for the most part are less expensive then GM, Ford, ect.., so do you think the japs are buying more quality parts (that are more expensive) and still charging less for their truck? i guarantee their profit margins are the same as their competitors.

i've had the total opposite experience with my GMC reel-tor. its a 2000 extendend cab with 75k+ miles. the only thing that has gone wrong is an out of round aftermarket tire and the black color on the radio preset button 1 is coming off. truck has been worked extremely hard (it's pulled a horse trailer for probably 50k of the 75k) and well maintained. i'm confident that i'll get twice that mileage with minimal problems.

it's weird how everyone has completely different experiences with different truck makers. it seems like if you've have a bad experience with one make of truck in the past, all of your experiences with that make are bad for the rest of your life. and the opposite seems true also.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Reel-tor said:
Quality--a word Detroit can spell but doesn't know the meaning of. "Profits over quality"--Detroit's mantra..."if **** makes money, that's OK"
Many will think that statement is really unfair. Any company can build a lemon. (I have at least 14 japanese lemon buybacks that I use in my training program).

My personel vehicle is a 4WD Suburban with 225,000 miles. It still looks and drives like new. The list of repairs made in ten years is very small and doesn't include any driveline parts. It has never leaked a drop.

Driving Toyota Tundra w/ TRD Off Road pkg now. Love it!
Let me know how it does at the beach. I had to pull one out of the sand a couple weeks ago. The sand couldn't have been more than a few inches deep and only one tire was turning. I asked him if it was in 4WD and he said YES!:confused:

·
Registered
419 Posts
i had an 88 chev 1/2 ton longbed with ilke 130, miles when i bought it ran great for like 8 months then when it hit 150 motor blew ,tranny went, rearend 2 weeks later and like 3k in extra little **** sold it got my money back bought 88 s10 balzer 4x4 pur junk made lots of trips thinking i had 4 wheeldrive on bryan beach big mistake vacum operated transfercase. traded for 85 stepside ford 300 six with a four speed , backed of into a creek at duck lease sunk truck to the door locks . changed battery and and ign module and fluids and started right up still kicken after 300,000 miles of pure abuse . managed to pull out 4 4x4 trucks last deer season 2 chevys a superduty and a cummins . still good enough for any beach

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Tundra on the Beach

bigdav160 said:
Many will think that statement is really unfair. Any company can build a lemon. (I have at least 14 japanese lemon buybacks that I use in my training program).

My personel vehicle is a 4WD Suburban with 225,000 miles. It still looks and drives like new. The list of repairs made in ten years is very small and doesn't include any driveline parts. It has never leaked a drop.

Let me know how it does at the beach. I had to pull one out of the sand a couple weeks ago. The sand couldn't have been more than a few inches deep and only one tire was turning. I asked him if it was in 4WD and he said YES!:confused:
Bigdav: I've taken the Tundra to Sam's Beach twice and camped out. No problem but then I don't drive in dunes and I don't purposely go where I might get stuck. BTW, my Off Road pkg is NOT 4x4 (2wd w/limited slip differential).

When someone really needs a 4x4 nothing else will do. At the same time, I have observed that some people with 4x4 don't exercise good judgement and get stuck because of the lack of good judgement.

Re: quality statement is overly broad...Yes, you're right! I drove a Chevy van for over 10 years w/very minor problems--one of the best vehicles I've owned. I drove a Ford Maverick for over 17 years (had a bad habit of needing master cylinders but otherwise very few repairs). Most vehicles I've owned I have driven for more than 10 years. I usually do my own maintenance and do not abuse my vehicles. However, getting back to "quality"....I still am of the opinion that Detroit puts "profits ahead of quality". There is a reason why Toyota and Honda control so much market share and why Detroit has lost market share. I submit its because people have gotten better service (economic use) from Toyota & Honda than they got from Detroit iron.

My neighbor just traded in their 180K mileage Accord and got another Honda. Their GMC Yukon sometimes doesn't start even though it has been to the shop several times to try to figure out why. Yes, that's just one vehicle. But, after a while you start to see a pattern... My wife's 1999 Accord has only required less than $50 in repairs so far (two A/C plastic knobs @ $7 each and a master cyclinder cap that had a bad low fluid sender).

Traded in my 15 years old Honda lawnmower last year for a new one. Prior John Deere w/Briggs & Stratton motor wore out in 7 years.

My 1997 Honda 90hp 4 stroke OB has been very dependable.

Nothing is perfect. Yes, I have no doubt there are bad Japanese model cars. But, have they done something about it? Is there continuous quality improvement evident? I still am of the opinion Detroit "doesn't get it" and continues to engineer in too much "planned obsolence".

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
Hey dude your suppose to to take the yak off first J/K ...................................later,Dave

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
4WD and Trucks

I like the 1999 - 2004 Ford SD trucks for heavy frames and solid live axle leaf springs. This is great offraod but sure does not provide the highway ride of the HD2500 GM trucks that are equivalents.

My F250SD CC LWB Diesel PU has never had a suspension problem and I haul a big slide-in camper down the beach.

All of the new trucks and even next years Ford SD will go to coil springs.

Any 1/2 ton 4WD PU will be a great surf fishing beach machine. Slightly oversized tires (<33" tall and ~11" wide) and Ziebart will get you many miles of beach time with good maintenance.

·
Registered
185 Posts
hahahahaha

Surf stryker said:
look on every job site, every ambalance, every state trooper, ford tough.
the state just wants an excuse to buy new vehicles every couple of years, that's why they choose ford. they figure that they are going to break down in a couple of years and that will justify the purchase of new vehicles everytime the model changes.

when was the last time you saw a state vehicle that older than 2 or 3 years?

why do the police drive GM vehicles????

while we are on the subject....what in GOD's name does a cop in the north houston area need a dang truck or suv for anyway? the city *****es about money so much, yet they buy vehicles that require $50 to fill up the gas tank.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I've got an 92' chevy with 239,000 on it. Rebuilt tranny @ 175,000. LIKE A ROCK:texasflag

·
Registered
159 Posts
GREAT PICTURE!!! Iv seen some buddy's of mine float some of there Z71's at our old deer lease in livingston. I personally have a 94 Z71 w/ 180,000 miles on it. I have minimal problems w/ it. I drive her everyday olmost from mont belvieu to academy on uvalde and I-10 which is mabey 35 miles. The truck still looks new and drives great and sounds great!! Iv got a small miss somewhere and cant figure out what It is. But oh well. I use my truck Taylor for everything. Deer Hunting, Towing my friends ford tractor w/ 6000 other pounds of axcess farm equitment on it, towing my 2004 Blazer Bay 1860 which Badhabit is in love with, and just to do stuff around the house with. Those older Z71's are bullet proof i think...cant go wrong w/ that good ol 350. My dad has a 2004 Z71 and he loves his. They are good trucks, and reliable. I just wish they would start making them w/ more ground clearance like they use to. Is it just me or are they getting lower and lower to the ground each year? But if you ever see my truck just honk. Its a 94 white Z71 w/ a black tool box and has Chevy Off Road Muscle on the back of the window. Again, great picture....your adventures seem to expand once you can accually say, "I Got The Z"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts