2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to begin grip assembly and was curious as to squeeze out of the epoxy. Do you use tape to protect? Will the squeeze out sand off? Thanks for all your help.

·
TEXAS Proud
1,331 Posts
Be sure to put epoxy above where your grip will be, and get plenty of epoxy on the inside before it slides to where it's going to sit. Any excess epoxy that gets squeezed out should be cleaned up with paper towels and denatured alcohol before it dries. If you have a really tight fit with your EVA, you can soften it up by wrapping it in paper towels, get it wet, and then microwave it for about 10 seconds.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What if I'm doing a split grip? I was planning to wrap and finish the area between the handles, and then slide on the end piece. Is there a better way?
Do I go ahead as planned and wipe the epoxy from the finished wrap?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And assuming the finished wrap has cured, can I still clean up with alcohol?
I am also thinking that since I will be shaping the grips, that I can sand off any spills.

Thanks for the rod info. My next blank will be one of yours.

·
TEXAS Proud
1,331 Posts
Yes, the alcohol will not damage the cured finish. I would just use alcohol and paper towels to clean up any spills or excess epoxy. It's much easier and cleaner than trying to sand cured epoxy. In the future, you may want to check out Rod Bond or Ultimate Gel for your grip adhesive. Both of these have a gel consistency and are less messy than regular epoxy adhesive.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I changed 2 ultimate gel by thread master,let me tell u,i lov it,thankx 2 Alex frm 713 surfsider.After he told me bout it,I started using it and haven't looked back.Ur rite coastal bent,less messy. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts