2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened back in March but I just ran across the site again and thought I would post it up because it's pretty cool. Unfortunately there are no photos to accompany the article.

Frankfort, KY (April 15, 2004) - William Chumbler of Calvert City, Kentucky cast a spinnerbait into the Ohio River on March 23 expecting a bass to hit.

Instead of a bass, Chumbler hooked into a 106-pound paddlefish over five feet long and more than three feet around. It is now the new state record for the species, besting the old record of 82 pounds set by Standley Shelton from the Parrish Lakes in Georgetown in 1982.

“For a paddlefish, it was big,” said Paul Rister, western district fisheries biologist for the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR). “We commonly see paddlefish in the 20 to 40 pound range and we’ve tagged a few big ones in the 50 to 60 pound range. This fish was double the size of what we are used to seeing.”

Chumbler landed the record paddlefish on 17-pound test line. The fish was 65 inches long with a girth of 37 inches. The record fish was weighed at Rudy’s Farm Center in Kevil, Kentucky.

For more information about the Kentucky Record Fish program, call 1-800-858-1549. The record fish list is on pages 20 and 21 of the 2004 Kentucky Sport Fishing and Boating Guide or may be viewed on the KDFWR web site at fw.ky.gov/recordfish.asp.

·
Registered
728 Posts
That's a big fish.... I thought they ate plankton or something... didn't have a clue you could catch one on a spinner bait...

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They are filter feeders. All the ones I have seen caught on the Ohio have been less than 20lbs so seeing a catch that large is encouraging.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts