2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TxDuSlayer
4,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'am wanting to do some different things with my money besides letting it sit a savings account & spending the rest on guns and fishing trips. I would like to begin buying stocks or something but I have no idea how to get started or how to buy? Can you put aside $50-$100 and buy stock or do you have lots of money to buy huge quanities of stock? If anyone here works as stockbroker or Charles Schwab type buisness that could help me get started I would appreciate any help/advice!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Do you work for a company that offers a 401K match? It is best to start there and put in at least what your employer will match. If not, look for mutual funds with a history over 10 years and low expenses. Investment brokers (Schwab, Edward Jones, etc.) will all charge 1-2% on top of what the mutual fund charges so I would not use them personally. If you are giong to set up an IRA, Roth is best. Most banks are offering good rates on 1-2 year CD's right now too.

·
Banned
234 Posts
Put your money in bonds or keep it in that savings account. Jim's 401K match suggestion is probably the best idea if you work for a company that matches. If you are going to do funds, which I would not, I would use only the most conservative funds. Don't buy into a fund that is heavily invested in stocks just yet, we may have another 1000 points to the down side for the dow.

·
Registered
395 Posts
401k matching. The matching should almost cover all your taxes when you make distributions as ordinary income.
WS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts