2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got home after the opener my youngest daughter pops up with, "When can I go out there to camp with you and shoot a deer?" Whoa, she's never really shown an interest. And when a teen daughter with a full social calendar wants to go hang out with dad for the weekend it's time to get busy.

I spent the weekend putting together the pieces for a box blind and got it loaded onto the trailer and headed to the property. Ended up getting out there just before dark. Went to check the feeder and found three does feeding. Eased out and went to camp for dinner.

I wouldn't normally be putting up a blind this late, but I've hunted out of tripods, ground blinds and tree stands for the last 20 or so years. Can't recall the last time I was in a box. But I couldn't see putting her up in a tripod for her first hunt and couldn't figure out how to get myself close enough to coach.

A few pics of the project....

A pile of wood

Solid base. Being a couple miles from Espirtu Santo Bay I planned for high winds.

******* engineering on a one-man job. Gotta use your thinker. :lol:

Getting there. Need the roof and the door panel.

Done for the day. I put in one window covering just to see if my plan would work. It did. Next weekend after we get through hunting Sunday morning we'll add the other window coverings, a couple shelves and paint.

Pretty cool project. The pieces fit together perfectly according to plan with only a few nudges to get things lined up.

Next Saturday morning my lil princess and I will watch the sun come up from the comfort of a condo with a view.

·
Registered
762 Posts
I must say you definitely get an "A" for effort. I have been there with a daughter of my own. Setting up stands in the middle of the night before opening morning in some cases to try and get on a big one.

I will be out with my grandson and his step brother this Saturday morning, to hopefully rid a friends place of a doe or several hogs.

Good luck to you and your's and I hope she gets that big one as well.

·
Gone Fishin'
1,196 Posts
That's pretty cool. Good luck!

On a side note, it looks like you still have your fair share of hogs hitting the feeder. Let me know if you need any help getting rid of a few. :)

I just got my hog summer sausage and smoked sausage back from Doreck's in Santa Fe. Ummm, ummm, good!

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With the new stand I'm thinking of setting up a separate feeder with a light and about a 50 yd shot. It won't be nearly as tough sitting in the box all night as it is sitting in a tripod.

Once I get through with the deer for the year I'll concentrate on getting some hogs. We might just have to work something out.

·
Gone Fishin'
1,196 Posts
With the new stand I'm thinking of setting up a separate feeder with a light and about a 50 yd shot. It won't be nearly as tough sitting in the box all night as it is sitting in a tripod.

Once I get through with the deer for the year I'll concentrate on getting some hogs. We might just have to work something out.
That sounds like a great idea. I would imagine you would see quite a bit of traffic at night. Its nice hunting out of a box and very easy to get used to. I am sure you will figure that out soon enough. :)

Just finished a little afternoon snack here at the office. Doreck's jalapeno cheese summer sausage (hog). Great stuff!

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
fantastic, hunting with my daughters has been some of my best memories....good luck to her. Pack all the patience you have...relax and have a good time regardless of action, always keep it fun. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts