2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to find out which is happening to me. I am leaving tomorrow on a four day deer hunt. I have no desire to shoot a deer but have a cooler full of shrimp, oysters, fish, t-bones and pork ribs. I have killed more deer than I can remember but if I do not kill another one that will suit me just fine. I have two young sons that do plenty of killing. I like being on the water or in the woods as much as ever but enjoy the fire and cooking way more than sitting and shooting. The fishing fever is still as strong as ever. Help me out. My 11 year old says I'm definitely a tree-hugger because I don't let him shoot enough.

·
Registered
844 Posts
The 5 Stages of a Hunter
January 29, 2009 by admin
Leave a comment
Hunters change through the years. Factors used to determine "successful hunting" change as well for each hunter. A hunter's age, role models, and his years of hunting experience affect his ideas of "success." Many hunters may fit into one of the following five groups. In 1975-1980, groups of over 1,000 hunters in Wisconsin were studied, surveyed, and written about by Professors Robert Jackson and Robert Norton, University of Wisconsin-La Crosse. The results of their studies form a widely accepted theory of hunter behavior and development. Where are you now? Where would you like to be?
SHOOTER STAGE
The hunter talks about satisfaction with hunting being closely tied to being able to "get shooting." Often the beginning duck hunter will relate he had an excellent day if he got in a lot of shooting. The beginning deer hunter will talk about the number of shooting opportunities. Missing game means little to hunters in this phase. A beginning hunter wants to pull the trigger and test the capability of his firearm. A hunter in this stage may be a dangerous hunting partner.
LIMITING OUT STAGE
A hunter still talks about satisfaction gained from shooting. But what seems more important is measuring success through the killing of game and the number of birds or animals shot. Limiting out, or filling a tag, is the absolute measure. Do not let your desire to limit out be stronger than the need for safe behavior at all times.
TROPHY STAGE
Satisfaction is described in terms of selectivity of game. A duck hunter might take only greenheads. A deer hunter looks for one special deer. A hunter might travel far to find a real trophy animal. Shooting opportunity and skills become less important.
METHOD STAGE
This hunter has all the special equipment. Hunting has become one of the most important things in his life. Satisfaction comes from the method that enables the hunter to take game. Taking game is important, but second to how it is taken. This hunter will study long and hard how best to pick a blind site, lay out decoys, and call in waterfowl. A deer hunter will go one on one with a white-tailed deer, studying sign, tracking, and the life habits of the deer. Often, the hunter will handicap himself by hunting only with black powder firearms or bow and arrow. Bagging game, or limiting, still is understood as being a necessary part of the hunt during this phase.
SPORTSMAN STAGE
As a hunter ages and after many years of hunting, he "mellows out." Satisfaction now can be found in the total hunting experience. Being in the field, enjoying the company of friends and family, and seeing nature outweigh the need for taking game. Not all hunters go through all the stages, or go through them in that particular order. It is also possible for hunters who pursue several species of game to be in different stages with regard to each species. Some hunters feel that role models of good sportsmen, training, or reading books or magazines helped them pass more quickly through some stages.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sportsman=Food and cold ones just as important as killing. That's where I fit in. 10-4 on the fish cleaning. Plus, don't keep many of those anymore, fresh fish is best fish.

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
I don't get that mad at any of them(deer,hogs, ducks, fish) to the point that it's a must do anymore.. I enjoy going and the bonus of fresh meat at times. then again I like to go hang out in the woods, marsh, and bay and just BS and have fun with friends.

I think you just lost you Pizz and vinegar,, lol

·
Banned
8,277 Posts
I need to find out which is happening to me. I am leaving tomorrow on a four day deer hunt. I have no desire to shoot a deer but have a cooler full of shrimp, oysters, fish, t-bones and pork ribs. I have killed more deer than I can remember but if I do not kill another one that will suit me just fine. I have two young sons that do plenty of killing. I like being on the water or in the woods as much as ever but enjoy the fire and cooking way more than sitting and shooting. The fishing fever is still as strong as ever. Help me out. My 11 year old says I'm definitely a tree-hugger because I don't let him shoot enough.
I know the feeling, I am not near as mad at those deer as I used to be, but I still will take a big horned daddy every now and then. rs

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I have gotten to the stage where I feal no need to shoot something. Now my kids want to go and it is great to see the same excitement from them as I used to get. Once I reached a point where the trophy (in my mind) whitetail, muledeer, and antelope were taken, I'd now rather watch them or let my kids take them. My only intentions of shooting something now is a trophy Audad, Elk, Moose and possibly Axis and Fallow deer and only if they are wild and free range. I have been after one particular Audad on my families ranch for three years and it helps keep the desire in me.

Dexter

·
Banned
2,863 Posts
I would say getting old...

but, then I saw your age. Of course, that's about the age I gave up hunting also. I'd rather stay in a warm bed in the morning than get in a stand. Don't much care for wild meat anymore, especially when HEB has T-bones on for $4.77 per pound.

I still have all my guns; I'll leave them for the grandchildren. If I ever get where there are plenty of rabbits, I might pop one or two of them along. To me that is the best wild game there is. Fried cotton tail or cane cutter with rice and gravy and biscuits. Mmmm, making me hungry now!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I have probably field dressed ten deer in the last five years, all shot by friends and family. I'm not into knockin 'em down like I used to. But being at the ranch means more than ever.

·
Native Texan
10,977 Posts
I am definitely in the sportsman stage. Like has been said, if the right one steps out I will take, but not nearly as mad at them as I used to be. A cooler full of drinks and food makes me happy now. But, I still get excited to see them, but just don't care to take them. I think the tree hugger part is inherent with all of the time spent in the field and learning to appreciate the hard work, money and time that it takes for it to be there, and the desire to teach the respect for animals that we have learned to our young ones coming up.

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
I was in a similar situation I guess. I still do a lot of shooting game I just decided it was more fun with a camera. If you have a lease/hunting area with some decent game, you should try some serious photography. You might find a whole new way to enjoy the great outdoors without having to kill anything but time and money.. (-:}

·
Winter Hater
9,448 Posts
i guess he'd classify me as a tree-hugger too. i'd rather be making breakfast or drinking coffee by the fire than sit in a stand cold and cringing when the coffee kicked in ;).

but i'd fish 7 days a week if i could!

·
WHO DAT!!
3,242 Posts
I guess I've been a tree-hugger for a LONG time. I tried hunting as a kid and never really enjoyed it.

Now fishing, that's a whole other story.

But, recently I've done neither. I enjoy the heck out of sitting by the fire, cooking a great meal the old fashioned way(over an open fire), sitting back and tossing back more than a few cold ones wiht my friends.

·
Registered
365 Posts
i'm much more interested in seeing my son kill a deer, duck, hog, dove, whatever than myself nowadays also. i still like hunting, cleaning the kill, and processing it but cooking it with others over a few beers is getting to be my favorite now. my oldest is 13 and we can only eat so much, i'd rather he fill the freezer for us.

Reactions: DEXTER

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I haven't killed a deer since 95 or 96. I am no longer on a lease, but the guys I used to hunt with let come out whenever I want to. I enjoy watching nature (If it's cold its from my truck--not a tripod), the friendship, the campfire and the stories. I still like to hunt doves, but fishing is now my passion.

·
Registered
7,459 Posts
lol, I am 34 and for the first time this year I feel that way, don't get me wrong I still love it but I ain't near as mad at 'em as I used to be. I have no problem just sitting by the campfire late then sleeping in.

·
Wherever you are....BLOOM!
5,760 Posts
It's been 10+ years since I've killed a deer....I still get a charge from watching them and still take my 270 with me, just in case. My nephews and SIL's do the shooting and enjoy it.

My shells are getting pretty old too. I may never finish the box I have now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts