2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:headknock

2Coolers I need some "good" advice

This week I was asked to come pick up a boat that needed some TLC by a family friend. He was removing debris from one of his rent houses and this was part of that. He is not the original owner and was given this boat some time back(YEARS). The title was never given and no one seems to recall where or if anyone still has it. The question is what is the best steps to getting this thing legit with the TPWD? (Already looked online)
I have titled new boats and ones with a transferred title but never one that didn't have one. Considering the source of where it came from the thought that it could be stolen is very unlikely. Since He and I have been "given" the boat as opposed to paying for it how will this stack up with the red tape? :help:
This boat has a TX number (TX 7987 2) and HIN (GFC 0094470683) along with a patent number (4002 131)
I want to complete a rebuild as it is do-able, the boat in question is a little scooter made back in 83...its screams to get back on the water!!
I want to do the right thing with this even though it may cost a little coin. I would rather get my ducks in a row before the epoxy starts to fly. Please chime in if you have any thoughts or experience with this.

Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas to you and your families!!!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Best bet is to talk to TPWD and explain the situation and your intentions. They will run the TX #'s and Hull Identification numbers to confirm it is not stolen. they will also be able to tell you who the registered owner is but since you stated that it was at one of your rent houses, chances of tracking down the owner to get them to sign over a transfer of title is slim to none. I had the exact same problem about 10 yrs ago and had no trouble with getting it titled (after they confirmed it was not stolen or insurance claimed.) I took my project boat all the way to the TPWD office at Greenspoint (even though I live an hour from there).
Good Luck. Sounds like you made a great find! Would love to be able to find a scooter to re-do!

Shudda.............

·
Maker of laser engraved switch panels
3,766 Posts
If all else fails, maybe your friend can obtain title by selling the boat to pay for a storage lein.

·
Banned
103 Posts
I was tpwd if there's no owner, no title there was no way. If you are able to get it done I'm sure there's a lot of us that would like to know how. I'm. Sitting on one right now pondering what to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts