2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gettin' Bent
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have any of ya'll actually patterned ya'lls shotguns? Did you notice a real difference in your kill ratio? What seemed to work best?

·
Registered
4,880 Posts
You would be suprised.... My 390 tends to shoot lower than my 870 with the same ammo.

I would recommend it for sure....

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
I've patterend all of my shotguns over the years. I would shoot at a 30" circle at 40 yards with the tightest choke I had. I look for pattern density and POI. I also patterned all of my skeet chokes in a sub-gauge tubed O/U with my reloads. For skeet work I shot at the 30" circle at 25 yards. A very worthwhile project.

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
When I repped for Remington I was single and lived in Reno, NV, and had a lot of time on my hands when I wasn't working. I can't tell you how many hours I spent, just with my 870, loading a patterning different loads.

I did different ranges with my various chokes, different chokes at the same range, different loads- all with the same gun It was AMAZING, the results I got. There are huge differences between different loads (powder brand, amount of powder, shot cups, amount of shot, type of shot chllled vs. magnum) all out of the same gun. There were some that were horrible- no one could have hit anything with those loads, and then there were some that were perfectly balanced and totally filled that circle.

I would actually go back to my apartment and take a felt tip pen, and circle each shot hole, which really made them visually stick out to really show the density of that pattern. It was one of the most eye opening things I have ever done.

THE JAMMER

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Shotgun/choke/shell patterns will vary with each diff shotgun (same make), shell, and choke. You need to pattern YOUR individual shotgun with the shell you will be shooting the most. My Franchi patterned HORRIBLE with the factory chokes shooting 3" #2 steel. I patterned them and the density just wasnt there. Got a carlsons extended choke (full and mod) and it really improved it. Its hard to miss now. I wouldnt take anyone's recommendation. Just go out and pattern your combo and if you dont like it try an aftermarket choke and see what happens. Its time consuming but well worth it if you are missing alot

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
One thing about it, don't do it if you're not prepared to just junk your factory chokes and make a trip over to Briley: that happens a lot when people start patterning guns. I know I did way back when..

Also: it's not the gun you're really patterning: it's the choke: if it's choked right, you can get a decent pattern out of a piece of steel pipe... Thus you need to make sure you do it with any choke you plan to ever use..

·
The Jammer
3,594 Posts
I definitely have a substantial amount of my money tied up in Briley chokes- they are excellent, and I know Stever personally down there. But I would not give a blanket agreement with your statement about junking your factory chokes.

In my previous post here when I did all of that pattern work with my 870, I used only the factory Remington chokes, and got some excellent patterns. Now I will say that the beretta chokes I have gotten with their guns have been the most irregular of any manufacturer I have ever seen, and have always replaced them with briley's.

THE JAMMER

One thing about it, don't do it if you're not prepared to just junk your factory chokes and make a trip over to Briley: that happens a lot when people start patterning guns. I know I did way back when..

Also: it's not the gun you're really patterning: it's the choke: if it's choked right, you can get a decent pattern out of a piece of steel pipe... Thus you need to make sure you do it with any choke you plan to ever use..

·
Aspiring professional pot-stirrer.
20,198 Posts
I definitely have a substantial amount of my money tied up in Briley chokes- they are excellent, and I know Stever personally down there. But I would not give a blanket agreement with your statement about junking your factory chokes.

In my previous post here when I did all of that pattern work with my 870, I used only the factory Remington chokes, and got some excellent patterns. Now I will say that the beretta chokes I have gotten with their guns have been the most irregular of any manufacturer I have ever seen, and have always replaced them with briley's.

THE JAMMER
I may have a good explanation for that......

A few years back I got one of my several "tours" of the briley shop: ( I know a few of the guys too) the guy taking me through there kept his mouth shut during one little "stop", but reached over and pulled a single flush-mount choke off the rack coming off a workstation and showed it to me: on said choke was stamped "Remchoke Mod".....

My beretta factory chokes were usable, although "by habit" I instantly swapped 'em for Brileys anyway: the worst I've ever seen were factory Brownings: these were in the regular "invector" days: I think the "invector plus" have improved considerably.. I'm just a fan of extended chokes: I've NEVER seen it not be an improvement over a flush ANYTHING... If it patterns well, I certainly wouldn't just issue a blanket "scrap it", but I've got a heck of a lot of factory chokes that have never tasted the side of a wad...

Note I said "just be prepared....": it can happen pretty easily once you start seeing it on paper..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts