2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have an Academy close see if they have the clearance on the old model Citicas. They are priced at $39 bucks until they are gone. You will never get a better reel at a better price...they are going fast.

·
Wishin I was Fishin
1,090 Posts
They were sold out state wide as of last thur afternoon....I found one academy in Abiliene that had 2....and i found a friend that knew someone up there and i just recieved them this am.

·
Registered
112 Posts
citicas are trash

redfishlaw said:
If you have an Academy close see if they have the clearance on the old model Citicas. They are priced at $39 bucks until they are gone. You will never get a better reel at a better price...they are going fast.
wait until you start having problems with them(and you will).myself and my neighbor made the mistake and bought the 200 series and they are trash.after only 2 uses,the reel won't engage after pushing down on the thumb bar.we both experienced the same problem.had to take the side plate off and re-engage them manually.put the side plate back on,pressed the thumb bar,same thing.won't make that mistake again and neither will anyone i have mentioned this to.did you ever wonder why they are only$40.00?i would'nt spread the word about those reels.no bueno por nada.

·
Shoalwater owner/ concrete guy
5,153 Posts
flapper said:
wait until you start having problems with them(and you will).myself and my neighbor made the mistake and bought the 200 series and they are trash.after only 2 uses,the reel won't engage after pushing down on the thumb bar.we both experienced the same problem.had to take the side plate off and re-engage them manually.put the side plate back on,pressed the thumb bar,same thing.won't make that mistake again and neither will anyone i have mentioned this to.did you ever wonder why they are only$40.00?i would'nt spread the word about those reels.no bueno por nada.
I've had mine for going on 5 years now with 0 problems.

·
Registered
112 Posts
no good for us

mwb007 said:
I've had mine for going on 5 years now with 0 problems.
my neighbor and i must have just got some bad ones,but i don't know why they would make them any different?he actually got a 100 series and i got the 200 and we hate both of them.right out of the box they did'nt work right,and the ones we got we the $90.00 and $100.00 ones.so we really got screwed.they just won't work properly.press the thumb bar and they won''t re-engage.have to do it manually.i'm tired of messing with it.i just went back to throwing my TRUSTY curado super-free.now those are some great reels.i'm glad i bought 2 of them.

·
Banned
4,335 Posts
The pinion support bearing is probably corroded and in need of replacement. This bearing will see the brunt of salt intrusion and needs to be maintained.

·
Registered
902 Posts
flapper said:
You must have gotten a defect or something. I have had one for about 3 years and have been pretty rough on it and it still works great. I actually was wading some really really thick mud awhile back and fell and the reel went under water and into the mud lol... just cleaned it up a bit and it was fine! Also the new citica looks pretty cool, I think I'm going to pick one up this weekend.

·
Registered
112 Posts
you guys came out with some good ones.the problems we were having with the reel not re-engaging were happening right out of the box.i guess it only takes one bad reel to learn you're lesson.bummer.

·
Registered
112 Posts
no bueno

Bantam1 said:
The pinion support bearing is probably corroded and in need of replacement. This bearing will see the brunt of salt intrusion and needs to be maintained.
the problem we were having was right out of the box.how could the pinion support bearing be corroded on a brand new reel?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I would've returned it in exchange for one that DID work, or, send it back for warranty repairs. I sure wouldn't just hold on to a defective reel and say "oh well...better luck next time." :rolleyes:

I have a Citica 200DPV and just bought a 200E. I haven't had the time to take the new one out yet, but the D model hasn't had any problems at all.

·
Registered
112 Posts
academy won't take them

Birdnest Billy said:
I would've returned it in exchange for one that DID work, or, send it back for warranty repairs. I sure wouldn't just hold on to a defective reel and say "oh well...better luck next time." :rolleyes:

I have a Citica 200DPV and just bought a 200E. I haven't had the time to take the new one out yet, but the D model hasn't had any problems at all.
we can't return them because academy says that they are a discontinued product and all sales are final.any way you look at it,we got screwed,i have even taken it apart and put it back together.same result,press down on the thumb bar and it will not re-engage.that's too bad because i have had my super free curados for over 5 years now and they work like champs.i'm punching the gong on shimano.i can't even return them.another gong show.i'm stuck with a brand new reel that does'nt even work.sucks!

G

·
flapper said:
i bought one also after a guy that respect as a great fisherman sold me on one same problem tried fixing it myself big mistake.i got in S.A. before we had academy here so i never to it back for service or repair.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I have 6 of them and fish the salt at least twice a week. No problems here!!!!

·
Banned
920 Posts
Dangit! I missed this post! Mad about it, too.

I was at Academy today and asked if they had any Citicas on sale and they said, "Not any more... I don't know how everyone found out but we had a run on em up here."

I thought immediately about 2cool.

Dangit... that was my birthday, too.

Shucks.

·
fish control my brain
7,733 Posts
I talked to a guy behind the counter and he said some random guy brought one back, but it had no box or papers......he said the spool was stuck....

I opened it up and the thing was covered in oil...LOL.....I cleaned it right there with some paper towels and it spun perfect......I asked him to walk me to the front...

He said "you bet, that was to cool wathcing you go thru that reel right there!"

Got it $31 with a little taken off after the big break....no box.....

this was Tuesday.....

SCORE !!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Flapper - you were given incorrect information by whoever you talked to at academy. You need to immediately report him to the fishing and hunting department head. If you were not happy for any reason they will take them back. Even a discontinued item may be returned. You may only get the last price that they were sold for .... in this case the $39 to spend on another reel...but whoever told you that it is not the policy. And I have used mine 3 days a week since I got it and love it, sorry you got a bad one....kinda like my first wife......and I had to pay to return that one!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts