2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what's on the bottom at this site on the Top Spot map? is it natural bottom features or an artificial reef of some type?
anyone fished it lately?

·
Registered
624 Posts
scattered rocks. Can be productive, can also be a parking lot. Look out for "Get the Gaff" charter, that a-hole will cut you off and stop right on top of a rock everyone else is drifting over. In fact if you see him, throw a 6oz sinker at his boat for me..thanks.

·
From the old school
1,406 Posts
I want to say hard bottom and some rocks but being a t work I have nothing to refer to ...... fished? not sence last year. The snapper boats out of freeport hit them on a regular basis

joker

·
NRA LIFER
3,209 Posts
German Charlie

We fished it two weeks ago and pickin's were slim.

Ditto on Dunc's comments on the charter jerk.

Bob

·
Registered
3,093 Posts
Scattered rocks and hard bottom. Locate the right places and it can be fairly good but there is lots of barren water out there also. I've never found anything at the coordinates on the Top Spot map, but by wandering around have found a couple of places that produced a few fish. The better your depth finder is, the better your chances. The times I found fish, it was very difficult to see any bottom characteristics and it was because I marked fish that I tried a spot. Hasn't been productive enough for me to make it a spot that I target, but I try it once in a while if passing by. Like Dunc said, there are often charters out there, so there must be pretty good fishing if you can locate the right places.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
Fished the Charlies a lot last summer out of SLP. On a day like tomorrow with calm seas there will be 15-20 boats for sure out there. We had sucess though, but the one time we fished it recently, there were a couple 8 ft hammerheads waiting at the surface for your fish. I have actually had better sucess at Tall Rock, not as much traffic, and it's a little bit further in. I know that the Freeport charters tore up the Charlies this week. Good luck to you. BTW, I know I should be posting a new thread, but who's going out of POC tomorrow?

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have been stopping there since June 1st and have picked up limits of keeper snapper every time - except yesterday. They were all too small so we headed on out farther.

I have a few of the different rocks there marked and there is some good terrain there and it's widely spaced out - so usually even if there are other boats there you can politely keep out of each-other's way.

I definitely learned something new there yesterday - since I fished there the "original" 3 day season and every weekend since it re-opened in late June. It took about a month of fishing pressure to bring down the snapper size from 25-30" down to 13"

Cheers
James

·
Retired and working
1,576 Posts
I have been stopping there since June 1st and have picked up limits of keeper snapper every time - except yesterday. They were all too small so we headed on out farther.

I have a few of the different rocks there marked and there is some good terrain there and it's widely spaced out - so usually even if there are other boats there you can politely keep out of each-other's way.

I definitely learned something new there yesterday - since I fished there the "original" 3 day season and every weekend since it re-opened in late June. It took about a month of fishing pressure to bring down the snapper size from 25-30" down to 13"

Cheers
James
Exactly.....I would not doubt a closed season next year for everyone!

·
Relentless
2,622 Posts
I'm sure the EDF trolls love these kinds of threads

All I know is every spot I've dropped a hook in the last 3 years is so overloaded with snapper you can't catch anything else. Places I used to catch a variety of fish have been taken over by nothing but snapper

Relentless

·
Registered
294 Posts
X2 Charlie, I remember fishing it with Loran A and a old paper graph bottom machine. But did we make some nice hauls off of it late 60's and 70's......not near the trafic out there then as this is now.

·
Registered
427 Posts

Cheers
James
It has been cyclical the last few years. It was the distance limit of my old boat, so if i wanted to catch AJ's that is where I went. Some times we could not get away from the large snapper as incidental catch, and other times there were only small snapper that were tougher to catch, which was good for us.

What you are describing has nothing to do with pressure, go out there in a few weeks and the big fish will be back.

·
Registered
851 Posts
It has been cyclical the last few years. It was the distance limit of my old boat, so if i wanted to catch AJ's that is where I went. Some times we could not get away from the large snapper as incidental catch, and other times there were only small snapper that were tougher to catch, which was good for us.

What you are describing has nothing to do with pressure, go out there in a few weeks and the big fish will be back.
I 100% agree.... nothing to due with boats out there dropping a line.
Ive had this very talk with lots of folks recently. This has been a tough fishing year for me. I know others have experienced the same thing. I believe its related to currents but im not a hydrologist or biologist. Made 4 trips to the floaters this year and not one yellow brought on board yet, blackfin have been hard to pick up. My slam bam tile spots have been producing weak numbers. just an odd year all around. i havent spent near the time on the water as i did last 3 or 4 seasons but this one tough for sure.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts