2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What size generator should be purchased to use as back up power following damage by a serious storm? This is for home use. Basically to power fans and the frig/freezer in addition to some minimal lighting.

Also, are any converters required to run these appliances or do they come with one?

Thanks folks,

FC

·
Premium Member
40,476 Posts
I have a small one, it has 4 110v plugs but I have never used all of them at the same time. Whatever you go with, make sure to have extension cords and keep it outside away from doors and windows, don't want the fumes to come inside.

·
Capt. Sunbird
360 Posts
A 5 KW (kilowatt) unit is a bare minimum required to power an RV - either trailer or motorhome. I'd say the same would apply for emergency use in a house. A 5 KW unit will allow you to selectively power a few light bulbs, a refrigerator, one small TV, a small fan, and possibly an electric coffee pot. Don't shortchange yourself on extension cords. Make sure you have a adequate sized conductors to handle the load. If you set the generator outside at a distance of 25 - 50 feet, a minimum of 10 guage conductors are required.

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Sunbird said:
A 5 KW (kilowatt) unit is a bare minimum required to power an RV - either trailer or motorhome. QUOTE ]

I agree.
It also depends on how the generator is circuited. I saw a cheap one that said 5KW. That was at 240 though. The 240 circuit was good for 5KW. It only had one 120 volt circuit so the 120 volt circuit was only good for 2500 watts.

Standard frigde is gonna run 4-6 amps, thats 480 to 720 watts. Three fans at 300 watts each. Lights 60 watts each. Keep all the appliances below the KW rating of your generator. Don't run a high dollar appliance on it like an electronic TV cause the small generators like that have no voltage regulator. When it runs out of gas or misses the voltage drops.
An old small Tv will draw around 240 watts.

I use mine for after the storm. It stays put up in the garage.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Generators

If you are going to use a generator, Make sure that you do not backfeed your meter from the power company. If you only use extension cords; you will be ok.
Do not tie in to circuits coming out of your panel unless you are a dang good alectricion! a little humor
Sidecutter

·
Get Off My Bay!
6,584 Posts
A 5kw is really expensive isn't it? I was thinking baout a 3500 watt one for the fridge, small freezer and a couple of fans? Is this suffcient? I don't want to drop $1000, more like $400-500. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
deke - I called home depot this AM, 5.5 running KW coleman Powermate was $589, a 5 KW (other brand) was $699

Costco had a similar 5.5KW Powermate for $529.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
speckle-catcher said:
deke - I called home depot this AM, 5.5 running KW coleman Powermate was $589, a 5 KW (other brand) was $699

Costco had a similar 5.5KW Powermate for $529.
I was looking at the Coleman Shawn. Would that do the trick?

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
it should.

I've got another generator in the garage that needs the carb rebuilt. Kinda kicking myself now for not doing that 6 months ago.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Fc

FishinChick said:
What size generator should be purchased to use as back up power following damage by a serious storm? This is for home use. Basically to power fans and the frig/freezer in addition to some minimal lighting.

Also, are any converters required to run these appliances or do they come with one?

Thanks folks,

FC
FC - I work at Sears in the Lawn and Garden department...we sell the generators in this department. Right now, I know Sears closed out all the Generators here on the West coast but the 5600 watt version. Here is a link for more information.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=07132560000

This is the only generator that will be avalible untill next year through Sears. If you are lucky they will still have one at a local sears in your area! If not, try to rent one from a Home Depot...that would be your next bet.

Regards,
Gabe

·
Tight Lines, CaptDoug
2,022 Posts
Anyone know where to get one? I looked today (well yesterday, it's to darn early) at Home Depot, Lowes and Sears and all said none of the stores in the Houston area have any left. Guess I'll be eating a lot of fish if electricity goes out!

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,869 Posts
I've found it's easier than explaining load calculations to people, to just buy a 12 gauge extension cord that's long enough to go from the genset to the kitchen, this is to plug the frig in. Then get a 14 gauge extension cord and replace the female end (cord cap) with another male end.

When the power goes out, turn ALL the breakers in the panel off, this is important! Run the frig first to make sure it stays cold, plug in the male to male cord into a receptacle in the room you want to power up, then come back and plug into the cord (12 gauge) that the frig was plugged into.

It'll power up the entire circuit! Make sure you unplug from the 12 gauge cord before relocating the other end of the male to male cord to another circuit as the male to male will be energized if knot!

I have a 3500 watt Dayton brand that'll run my frig and everything in the den, lights, TV, DVD/VCR and ceiling fans at the same time!

·
http://www.profishingresearch.co m
2,953 Posts
Dam good way to do it Harbormaster! just be reel careful with that ( what we call) suicide cord.

Biggie

·
To Endeavor to Persevere
8,869 Posts
MT Stringer said:
Yep, me too. :(
Mike
That's the main problem with a portable genset! If you dont run them often, they wont be there when you need them! Most people buy them just in case, and they sit in the corner while the carb gums up and the seals deteriorate! They're knot unlike a bote, it's better to run them than let them sit!

If you buy one, plan on running it at least once a month, and place a load on it!

Thanks Biggy :biggrin:

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,607 Posts
harbor get over here and hook up my gen to my breaker box. I want central air if the storm hits! I need my Mikita 6100r hooked up to the breaker box and your slacking dude. what time you going to be here?

·
Hoping to keep some spare change
1,410 Posts
I bought a 3000 watt Coleman at Home Depot in Rosenburg yesterday afternoon. They had about 3 left. Lowes in Rosenburg was completely out. Another item that is hard to find is gas cans. Those gensets run through some gas, and you should probably have 20-25 gallons on hand to fuel the thing for a couple days.

·
Banned
5,088 Posts
Harbormaster said:
I've found it's easier than explaining load calculations to people, to just buy a 12 gauge extension cord that's long enough to go from the genset to the kitchen, this is to plug the frig in. Then get a 14 gauge extension cord and replace the female end (cord cap) with another male end.

When the power goes out, turn ALL the breakers in the panel off, this is important! Run the frig first to make sure it stays cold, plug in the male to male cord into a receptacle in the room you want to power up, then come back and plug into the cord (12 gauge) that the frig was plugged into.

It'll power up the entire circuit! Make sure you unplug from the 12 gauge cord before relocating the other end of the male to male cord to another circuit as the male to male will be energized if knot!

I have a 3500 watt Dayton brand that'll run my frig and everything in the den, lights, TV, DVD/VCR and ceiling fans at the same time!
If I get an extension cord long enough to run from your house to mine, can I run my fridge too?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts