2 Cool Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We still dont have water or power in Manvel, and it dosent look like that will change for a while. I have a 3500 Troy Built generator thats been givin it all its got since Saturday afternoon. The only time its been turned off is to fill with gas and check the oil. Does anyone have any maintenance tips to keep a generator in good running condition for the next few weeks?

·
Registered
775 Posts
other than checking and changing the oil, I would turn mine off for a couple hours to let it cool when we really did not need it ie while out working in the yard.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I would not run if it is not needed. I've been running mine about 18 hours a day. I shut it down every morning at 6 and check oil and fill with gas. Then restart at noon.

I change the oil about every 50 hours per the manual. 30w oil is what Briggs recommends.

·
Emorys Daddy
1,376 Posts
Been running a Coleman 3750 here in Kingwood since Friday 10pm. Called Coleman and they said change the oil every 24 hours of run time with 30 weight. Hell, my little 1 gallon tank cracked a bit and had a small drip so I rigged the one from my pressure washer to it while I put marine epoxy on the tank and it worked all last night. Gotta be creative sometimes I guess. Neighbor had one that would not start back up and it has a low oil pressure sensor that would not let it start. Filled the oil up a bit and it cranked right back up this morning. My little N Jetty fishing lite generator is saving our butt and I still have the pawn shop sticker on the cart that says 299.99 , talk about money well spent. After this is over mine will get a light tuneup but I already replaced the fuel line when I had to get one for the pressure washer tank. Other than that a new plug and a little seafoam should do it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Steven H said:
Been running a Coleman 3750 here in Kingwood since Friday 10pm. Called Coleman and they said change the oil every 24 hours of run time with 30 weight. Hell, my little 1 gallon tank cracked a bit and had a small drip so I rigged the one from my pressure washer to it while I put marine epoxy on the tank and it worked all last night. Gotta be creative sometimes I guess. Neighbor had one that would not start back up and it has a low oil pressure sensor that would not let it start. Filled the oil up a bit and it cranked right back up this morning. My little N Jetty fishing lite generator is saving our butt and I still have the pawn shop sticker on the cart that says 299.99 , talk about money well spent. After this is over mine will get a light tuneup but I already replaced the fuel line when I had to get one for the pressure washer tank. Other than that a new plug and a little seafoam should do it.
As stated before, change the oil at 50 hr intervals.

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
the only thing i can think of besides changeing the oil every 50 ,is water possibly accumulating in the carb ,shutin it down, until you drain it it wont start, so what i do when i run mine for long time i try to tilt it a little, away from the line comming out of the tank, so the water will go to the far side of the tank. just something to keep in mind if yours dies. press on!

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
We have a Coleman ER5000 (6750W surge, 5000W continuous). It is a continuous duty generator, but cheap nonetheless. We run it 6 on, 6 off during the day and up to 8hrs at night. We refuel while it's cool and I check the oil. (replace the oil every 50hrs). I put a little 10W-30 in it when I couldn't find my regular 30w, but thus far, no problems.

The 6 on, 6 off schedule is enough to keep our two fridges and one deep freeze going withouth anything thawing out, but still saves on fuel and on wear and tear. We also keep the load light when we can (few lights, just a couple of fans we sleep with...we're sleeping in our travel trailer), so the fuel burn is minimal. I have an inverter we charge between sessions to keep the TV/radio and fans going.

·
Registered
663 Posts
During Katrina I only ran ours continously at night when we were in for the evening and for sleeping. Then off and on for freezers during the day. Keep good clean oil in it.

·
Concrete Contractor
12,404 Posts
Put your fridges and freezers on their coldest settings. You shut the geneator down for 6 hours everything is still cold. No use in running it continously and burning fuel and wear and tear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts