2 Cool Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister in law just bought my brother a Honda EU1000 generator for night fishing. It's really light, compact, quiet and most of all expensive! The max wattage is 1000 watts @ 8.3 amps and the rated wattage is 900 watts @ 7.5 amps. I'm afraid that although her intentions were good, she really shot herself in the foot by going too small for an effective night fishing rig. But all that said, I'd like to here some opinions on what the best light setup would be for this generator. The watts are a no brainer but the amps have me concerned.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Don't let it bug you too much. Ohm's Law strikes again. Here's some simple formulas to use when trying to calculate amps, watts, volts.

AMPS = WATTS÷VOLTS

WATTS = VOLTS x AMPS

VOLTS = WATTS÷AMPS

If it still confuses you keep asking. There's a motherload of knowledge on here.

·
Registered
536 Posts
That generator would be fine for using Par stage lighting (what I and most night fisherman use). You would not be able to use the usual 1,000 watt bulbs but you can get 500 & 600 watt bulbs for both the par 56 and par 64. Get the very narrow spot. Puts out A LOT of light. Get them on ebay.

·
Registered
30,254 Posts
lights

use the 2oo watt train lights 4X200=800w. more than enough light for the fish. We use lights here in Matagorda year round and is the same setup we use. Everyone seems to try to get the most ligt into the water but who ever sets up first will catch the trout. You can buy the whole light set up for $150-$200 here in Bay City. You do not have to get fancy to catch trout under lights!!

·
Capt of the spyglass Potlicker club!
12,606 Posts
I have to agree with electricchicken, when we fish the lights one of the best light is a dimmer light. Several super bright ones around but the dimmer one holds better fish.

·
let me think
1,557 Posts
electricchicken said:
use the 2oo watt train lights 4X200=800w. more than enough light for the fish. We use lights here in Matagorda year round and is the same setup we use. Everyone seems to try to get the most ligt into the water but who ever sets up first will catch the trout. You can buy the whole light set up for $150-$200 here in Bay City. You do not have to get fancy to catch trout under lights!!
Im in aggreance with a few people here being more apt to accomodate the trout at night time..I work alot, so chasing trout around all day in a boat getting sunburned and wasting gas money really isnt my idea of fishing even though i dont discriminate people for what they fancy. Some people have a knack for it being they do it for a living or there on the water and know the movements and feeding ground for trout during the seasonal changes and water conditions.
I have a friend Nathan Chain and his dad Jimmy Chain known around Texas City here and the 4 train light set up at 200 watts a piece is ideal for that size generator....even though i can put my par 64 1000 watt light on it and **** near bog it down to shutting off.
My personal preference would be a single 1000 watt light and a 2000 watt generator. They both can compete in output but your one 1000 watt light is more compact, mobile, and easier to replace if the element burns out.
The element they make in the 1000 watt bulb is coiled and about and eight of an inch wide...Very handy when its time to roll up and you dont have to let your lights cool down to prevent damage. Just chunk it and wind it....

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everybody. One advantage we have is that we will be doing our night fishing from a boat and will be able to get away from everybody the brighter competition, so to speak. Appreciate everybody's response. The formulas that Van posted help a lot.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
like some of the guys have said, sometims brighter is nor better, especially if the water is really clear. For sake of ease in transporting the stage light is the best solution, the 500watt sealed beam is good, i thinke the 600watt unit is a smaller type bulb in front of a reflector. same can. you can also get colored gel sheets to go in front of the light to give off a green light, with the smaller bulbs, the 1000 watt unit has a tendacy to melt the gel sheet. I have use both the rr lights an the stage light for near 35 yrs and the stage light is the best in my opinion, plus the rr lights are almost the same price each as the on stage light, and if you lose on bulb the whole set goes out.

·
Registered
663 Posts
trout250 said:
I have use both the rr lights an the stage light for near 35 yrs and the stage light is the best in my opinion, plus the rr lights are almost the same price each as the on stage light, and if you lose on bulb the whole set goes out.
i thought the train light and stage lights are both Par 64 size???

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
don't think so the 200 watt train lights will fit in an old auto headlight bucket, the par 64 will not. If you use the loco lights to make a set use the older stlye single light car headlight bucket an get new adjustment screws to mount them, that way you can adjust your beam around to get them to shine like you want. have mounted them in square boxes an a long rectangle shaped one. thier bulkiness is what makes the par 64 stage light such a nice set up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.